Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star Spec review from a Daily Driver perspective

Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandondan1
It's often recommended to run as big a tire as you can, but I've seen some hardcore track cars running a slightly stretched tire(probably to retain steering response and minimize sidewall deflection). 225 SSZ1 on stock AP2 fronts visually bulge, and along with softer sidewall construction than the RE050, it's gonna translate into more deflection and vagueness in the steering.. (255s on the rear don't seem to bulge, strangely enough)

This article explains: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/letter...me-of-the-time

I'm really curious how those PSS stack up to Star specs and RS3s in dry grip.
It really isn't alway better to run as big of a tire as possible... Ive heard of some auto x guys pinching a 255/40 on the stock front 17x7 and that is flat out stupid. Stretching a tire on the biggest recommended wheel size will not only improve response and increase feel and communication... It also squeezes every last drop of mechanical grip out of the tire. A wider tire pinched on a narrow wheel will want to fold under the wheel during hard cornering making the contact patch you "think" you have much smaller when you need it. To go as fast as possible you need to pick the tire size or sizes you wish to use and stretch them on the widest wheel that is safe.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
^^^ Those test results are misleading to say the least.
Do you have any other objective data?

All they tell you is how the tires stack up their first auto x run hardly any heat in the tires. R-S3, Z1SS, RE-11, ect don't give you all of their grip until you get a good amount of heat in them whereas the PSS and other max performance and UHP tires are giving their full grip at these lower temps. They need to run a test on a road course or for several consecutive auto x runs to truly compare the tires in a way most people who buy them are concerned with.
For one thing, see thread title: "...from a Daily Driver perspective."
For another, PSS acquits itself well enough at the track, too (winning 2012 One Lap vs. the usual "Extreme Performance" suspects). The best "Max Perf" tires are NOT to be lumped in with "UHP". They're pretty much Extreme Perf tires with more water-channeling capacity/hydroplaning resistance.

Also this kind of testing isn't very accurate in that every tire has a "sweet spot" and needs to have the car set up and pressures set specifically for that tire. These tests are done with the manufactures suggested cold pressures for the OEM tires and OEM alignment... not ideal. I know it will never be viable to test tires like this as it takes way too much time and effort but I felt the need to say something.
It is at the very least a good indication that the PSS is in the same league as these particular "Extreme Performance" category tires on the street in the dry (SSII might be a different story), and of course it kills them in the wet.

I was a HUGE StarSpec fan (witness posts page 1 of this thread).
But the PSS is a MUCH better street tire, and for at least a few laps (One Lap format is 3-lap time trials, I think?) appears to run with the StarSpec1/RE11/AD08/RS3 at the track in the dry (can't seem to get raw lap time results from OneLap 2012).

AND, the PSS *feels* WAY better vs. StarSpecs. Probably related to generally being 3-5 lb. lighter-weight.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by brandondan1
Thanks for the info. I'm running in stock class SCCA so I can't change the wheel width. If I go with SSZ2s I'll be sure to go with 215s this time.
Sure, 225s would perform better on 8-8.5" wheels, but for outright cornering grip and best autoX times, I would bet on 225s over 215s on the stock 7" wheels, even if they bulge more.

For street/dd usage, I'd be more inclined to go with 215/45-17 on the stock 7" AP2 wheels, though, for feel.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1357755123' post='22255980

It's often recommended to run as big a tire as you can, but I've seen some hardcore track cars running a slightly stretched tire(probably to retain steering response and minimize sidewall deflection). 225 SSZ1 on stock AP2 fronts visually bulge, and along with softer sidewall construction than the RE050, it's gonna translate into more deflection and vagueness in the steering.. (255s on the rear don't seem to bulge, strangely enough)

This article explains: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/letter...me-of-the-time

I'm really curious how those PSS stack up to Star specs and RS3s in dry grip.
It really isn't alway better to run as big of a tire as possible... Ive heard of some auto x guys pinching a 255/40 on the stock front 17x7 and that is flat out stupid. Stretching a tire on the biggest recommended wheel size will not only improve response and increase feel and communication... It also squeezes every last drop of mechanical grip out of the tire. A wider tire pinched on a narrow wheel will want to fold under the wheel during hard cornering making the contact patch you "think" you have much smaller when you need it. To go as fast as possible you need to pick the tire size or sizes you wish to use and stretch them on the widest wheel that is safe.
For some reason you quoted me from the above previous statement with link that I didn't write. That was brandondan1. Just wanted to make that clear.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Oops didn't notice that until just now
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any draw back to running a 215/45 255/40 combo instead of a 225/45,255/40 which I know most people do? I've had 255/40's on all 4 before wasn't to crazy about the handling then went back to oem sizes 215/45,245/40 and I like it a lot more but I wouldn't mind having the rear grip of the 255/40 and the sharp steering reponse of the 215/45 up front.... Any input???
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by s132nr
Is there any draw back to running a 215/45 255/40 combo instead of a 225/45,255/40 which I know most people do? I've had 255/40's on all 4 before wasn't to crazy about the handling then went back to oem sizes 215/45,245/40 and I like it a lot more but I wouldn't mind having the rear grip of the 255/40 and the sharp steering reponse of the 215/45 up front.... Any input???
People do this all the time. The CR comes from the factory with a 215/255 stagger as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
What ZDAN said!

I will add that when you talk about tire performance as it applies to spirited driving on the street, autox is the best test, it is done without the tire warm up time a road course offers, at speeds similar to what you do on the street and with maneuvers that closely approximate tight corners on the street and emergency avoidance maneuvers.

So, in order to more precisely word my opinion. Star specs are in the same realm of performance as the RE-11 and AD08 and arguably perform better on the s2000 than the RE-11 or AD08. The evidence i have to support my statement is that at upper level autox competition, the Dunlops are more popular with people who care strickly about performance and do not regard price. This is a valid comparison point because autox performance is the best objective measure of tire perfomance for the street because the condition most closely approximate spirited street driving. Further, although some people argue that the RE-11 or AD08 are better on a road course, No one is going to say that the three tires are not in exactly the same realm of performance regardless of what conditions you refer too.

If you want this level or performance but cheaper, and don't do much rain driving, also consider the Hankook RS3, When its hot out they grip better than the D1SS, and in the 65-80deg range they are about the same, below that the D1SS grips better and the D1SS is much better in the wet.

Regarding your "reasonable price" comment, yes S2000 tires are expensive compared to 13in early 90's eco car tires. BUT look at the prices of all the non-junk tires in S2000 sizes, none of them are "cheap" if you want to be spending less than 500-700 plus installation for tires, you have the wrong car.