Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSR Professors NO LONGER AVAILABLE?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR Professors NO LONGER AVAILABLE?

So I sent an email to a well respected aftermarket company, actually to that companies president, inquiring about SSR Professor SP1's in custom sizes for the S2000. Now I know that TireRack sells them, as Speed Star wheels, but I wanted to check with this other company to see if I could get a different offset in the rear.

I got an email back from this company saying exactly this:

"SSR is out of business and the Professors are no longer produced. Sorry."

thats all. So whats the deal? I know SSR was filed for bankruptcy but that is all I heard. Filing for bankruptcy does not mean the company shuts its doors the next day. Did I miss something here and are the Professors truly not being made anymore? If so, then how is TireRack selling them?

thanks
Chris
Old 02-15-2005, 07:52 AM

I believe the main distributer for the SSR Professors now are Tire Rack, no one else sells them now?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe nobody makes the SSRs anymore...tirerack has some inventory left...and i picked up a set because these are going to be pretty rare...pick one up at tirerack while you can!

btw, im guesstimating...so don't count on my words for certainty.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 AM

Yeah SSR went bankrupt meaning they will no longer be making of their rims. That's why you have to buy my 18" SSR Professors in ebony silver which I'm selling =). Pm me if you're interested I'm in So Cal.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 PM

As long as there is demand they will be made....I doubt that SSR's 'bankruptcy' will have any impact on production/availability. If by some chance that SSR does go out business then I'm sure that someone else will pick up the designs...

Probably the shop that e-mailed you didn't know what was going on/didn't care to find out and just gave you a canned response rather than going to the effort to find out.....
Old 02-15-2005, 02:47 PM

i bought a set of 17's from tirerack a week or two ago.. he said there were 5 sets left when i got them... in black that is
Old 02-15-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD' date='Feb 15 2005, 01:09 PM
As long as there is demand they will be made....I doubt that SSR's 'bankruptcy' will have any impact on production/availability. If by some chance that SSR does go out business then I'm sure that someone else will pick up the designs...

Probably the shop that e-mailed you didn't know what was going on/didn't care to find out and just gave you a canned response rather than going to the effort to find out.....
not quite true...2 reputative shops, also vendors on this board has informed me that they will no longer make SSR rims which is one of my reasons of trying to fit the size that isn't even right...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Here's the problem though....until we actually here confirmation that they are out of business(i.e. rather than just in bankruptcy) this is just speculation. Still haven't heard anything from reliable sources yet. Jim would probably count as one but as far as I know he hasn't commented.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:59 AM

Im interested in hearing what Jim has to say also.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those shops are incorrect. They filled bankruptcy for protection. We are still waiting for the final word from the judges and Speed Star. We have two containers of wheels on the water at this time. I do not see SSR going away with the forged wheels. I tend to agree with Crazy PhuD in that if the Speed Star Wheels are not made them I am sure someone will pick up the molds.
Everything should play out soon.

Quick Reply: SSR Professors NO LONGER AVAILABLE?