Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Square set up with 245/245 - using 4 Rear AP2 wheels

Old 04-06-2011 | 08:19 PM

Default Square set up with 245/245 - using 4 Rear AP2 wheels

Hello,

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I saw another topic but did not get a definitive answer. excuse me if this has been discussed many times before (i am a bit of a S2000 noob)

I just got an 2005 S2000 in December. I am currently auto crossing in STR and would like to try the square set up some people are doing.

my car:
215/245 Direzza SS on AP2V1 rims
-1.5 front/ - 2.0 rear alignment
Saner front sway bar
stock suspension

I came across a good deal on a set of Ap2V1 rims, I would like to purchase another pair of 245/40/17 Direzza SS and mount them on the rear wheel and put them up front to run a square set up. I don't want to bore out the wheels as my ultimate goal for next year would get some 17x9 and run 255/255 and use the spare set for Winter wheels or sell them.

my questions:
1. can i run the rear wheels in the front with a 5mm spacer
2. should i run this for track only? since now the wheels won't be hub centric anymore
3. should i expect any rubbing issues with a 5mm spacer and rear wheels up front with the 245's
4. if the answer to 2. is "yes" will i need to put the front 215 back on and adjust the sway bar back to "soft" every time? as in will it understeer on the streets

thank you for any inputs
Old 04-06-2011 | 08:55 PM

i think you will need to bore out the center bore in the front in order to make it fit.
Old 04-06-2011 | 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BowlofRice
i think you will need to bore out the center bore in the front in order to make it fit.
i was hoping a 5mm spacer will get it pass the hub.
Old 04-08-2011 | 07:43 PM

Nobody has hub rings?
Old 04-09-2011 | 08:21 AM

I believe this topic has been covered many times. A 5 mm spacer will work on the front, and don't worry about it not being hubcentric, hubcentric rings are only there to help you mount the wheel, once it's torqued down, it does absolutely nothing. So if you just torque up your lug nuts in a star pattern, everything will be fine. I have run non-hubcentric wheels on my car at the track and autocross on r-compounds and thousands of miles on the street with no ill-effects. Trust me, I'm a mechanical engineer, haha.

I have run a +55 wheel with a 255 tire up front with no rubbing. It's close. You'll may have to trim the fender liner, but it'll work more easily with your effective +60 wheel and 245 tire.
Old 04-09-2011 | 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

The hub is not big enough to go on the front. I would also say bore the wheel out larger.
Old 04-10-2011 | 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suspension
I believe this topic has been covered many times. A 5 mm spacer will work on the front, and don't worry about it not being hubcentric, hubcentric rings are only there to help you mount the wheel, once it's torqued down, it does absolutely nothing. So if you just torque up your lug nuts in a star pattern, everything will be fine. I have run non-hubcentric wheels on my car at the track and autocross on r-compounds and thousands of miles on the street with no ill-effects. Trust me, I'm a mechanical engineer, haha.

I have run a +55 wheel with a 255 tire up front with no rubbing. It's close. You'll may have to trim the fender liner, but it'll work more easily with your effective +60 wheel and 245 tire.

thank you all for the inputs. I end up picking up a new set of 255/40/17 Hankook RS3's for $350! so i am somewhat committed to this set up now. I have not had much luck with finding a local machine shop that will do this for a reasonable amount. I have seen some people bore out the wheels using a router (may be kinda ghetto), comparing the inner lip of the rear compared to the front it looks doable with a flush trim router bit, i may give that a shot and in the worst case i will go with a 5mm spacer like you suggested. Someone told me a rule of thumb is to get 8 full turns on the lug nuts and it should be fine.

thanks again for all the advise
Old 04-10-2011 | 09:52 PM

geez where d you buy it so cheap?
Old 04-11-2011 | 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by awkwardturtle
geez where d you buy it so cheap?
someone posted them on a local site. it still had the shipping label from tire rack saying he paid $570 for them, i think he intended to use it on his M3 but sold it first.

update regarding the wheels. i decided to do the router method, i bought a flush cut router bit and went at it, it works and the fit is as tight as the front wheels. i basically used the edge that holds the center cap as the guide.

thank you all for the advice.
Old 06-07-2013 | 01:54 PM
10 Year Member

silversilvia (or anyone else) care to comment on how the rear ap2 wheels do on the front? I'd guess they'll be very similar to the TR motorsports C3's or other 62/63mm offset wheels for the s2000 in terms of rubbing? My car is lowered ~1" and I don't want to have to roll the fenders or worry about any rubbing on the suspension. Anyone with any input running this setup care to comment?

Quick Reply: Square set up with 245/245 - using 4 Rear AP2 wheels