Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO2's on the front, SO3's on the rear?????

Old 05-06-2002, 07:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running stock SO-2's up front with 245/45/16 SO-3's in back for about 4500 miles now. No problems to report. I'd say the 245 SO-3's have just a touch less grip than the 225 SO-2's, but to me it's hardly noticeable. I still get understeer on entry to a turn, with oversteer on throttle command. I haven't had many opportunities to drive through heavy rain with this combo, however, but it can't be any worse than when I was running stock rubber all around .

Short answer: As long as you get 245's in back, you should be quite happy.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18k on the s-02's in the front. and 1k on the s-03's in the rear. My instructor didn't notice anything wrong with the setup when he drove the car and I was turning some of the faster laps in my group (novice, at 2:20) I will say, I tried to break in the S-03's fairly hard considering what I read on the board. So they were broken in before I made it to the track. The tires did chirp a few times on occasion which I actually liked as they gave me an indication of how hard I could push it.

No regrets, (other than tire rack suggesting the wrong size)
Old 05-29-2002, 12:55 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ups2k
[B]I have 18k on the s-02's in the front. and 1k on the s-03's in the rear. My instructor didn't notice anything wrong with the setup when he drove the car and I was turning some of the faster laps in my group (novice, at 2:15) I will say, I tried to break in the S-03's fairly hard considering what I read on the board. So they were broken in before I made it to the track. The tires did chirp a few times on occasion which I actually liked as they gave me an indication of how hard I could push it.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:18 PM

Rear Tire size is 245x45x16 on OEM rims.

Track was TWS (2.9 mile). I'm still a novice. I think with more experience I can shave off another 10 seconds. I'm sure someone with more experience can do much better.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:30 PM

instructors generally dont comment about their student's car, unless its something major. they basically look at the tires to see what they are and assume whatever the car does is what the car was supposed to. basically they adapt to it.

cheers,
bassem

p.s. i always think its a bad idea to mix tires unless you absolutely have to (or plan to go to the same tire all around eventually)
Old 05-31-2002, 08:37 AM

I am trying to decide what rear replacement tires to purchase. My main objective is to be able to drive comfortably in the rain without losing too much traction on dry roads. I had just about decided on S-03's (245/45-16).

When I called Tire Rack, however, the person I spoke with said that based on their experience (whatever that meant), I should continue to use S-02's since they were the recommended tires for an S2000. If I insisted on getting S-03's, then I should still get the stock size (225/50-16) and be sure to replace all four tires at once.

Now, even after talking with a 'tire expert', I am still confused.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ewcollins
[B]I am trying to decide what rear replacement tires to purchase. My main objective is to be able to drive comfortably in the rain without losing too much traction on dry roads. I had just about decided on S-03's (245/45-16).

When I called Tire Rack, however, the person I spoke with said that based on their experience (whatever that meant), I should continue to use S-02's since they were the recommended tires for an S2000. If I insisted on getting S-03's, then I should still get the stock size (225/50-16) and be sure to replace all four tires at once.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:12 AM

The difference between ultra-performance tires is measured in hundredths of a g. The arguments we have here make it sound like the difference is measured in tenths. The stock tires are decent and have good and bad points. Plenty of other tires give great grip. Don't be afraid to experiment. No tire of a decent grade and brand will fail to be adequate for keeping up, I believe.

Unless you want to find better mileage, better wet performance, more feedback, more progressivity, or more linearity, there is no reason to change from the stockers. You won't find noticably more grip so that's not a reason worth the attempt. Any of these reasons (or a combination) is valid if you've noticed a deficit or need an improvement. If not, why bother. Great tires aren't really cheaper.

245/45 is the correct replacement designation, though.

Can't someone Gtech an S-03 equipped car and an S-02 equipped car for us? Rehashing this question is constant on this board.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The S02 and S03 are compatable tires in that they are both Max performance tires. I do not recommend to run them with the S02 because you will have 2 different levels of adhesion in both wet and dry. The S02 on the front in dry will lead to more oversteer. In the wet it will lead to understeer. In day to day driving it will probably not make a difference. In an emergency is where it may come into play. You really want the car to be as predictable as possible.
Thant said I know there are a lot of peoplet that are using the combination with no problems.
If I can help let me know.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 06-10-2002, 10:10 AM

I was running S02's up front and S03's in the back and it performed fine. I now have S03's all around and couldn't be more than happy with them. These tires are a bit more predictable during hard cornering and the ride comfort is a bit better as the sidewalls are slightly larger. Also, these tires are extremely quiet, I can only hear the roar of engine and of the wind rushing by now..

Quick Reply: SO2's on the front, SO3's on the rear?????