Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skipping with wider tires?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Skipping with wider tires?

Recently went from stock AP1 sized tires to 225 and 255 tires and noticed that the rear tends to skip around more on bumps like cats eyes and expansion joints. Is this a normal characteristic of running wider tires? In the corners on a smooth road everything is fine, however at highway speeds it's not the most confidence inspiring trait!

Perhaps skipping is the wrong adjective, maybe more of a shimmy?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a case of bump steer, which is a common problem in our cars. Idk why it would start happening with wider tires though. Maybe because you're pushing it harder than when you had the 225's?
Anyway, you can solve this problem with adjustable toe arms in the rear aka an anti-bumpsteer kit. I know that megan racing and J's Racing sell them, but there are probably other companies out there that make them too.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Are you running adjustable coilovers? Check your tire pressure and make sure its consistent with where you ran the 225. Sidewall construction and air pressure can make a noticeable difference in how the car behaves over irregularities in the road. This doesn't sound like a case of bump steer, it sound like simple tire deflection. Stiffer sidewall or higher air pressure can pronounce this effect. Actual bump steer is when the suspension moves through the stroke far enough that the actual wheel geometry changes, causing the car to exhibit unpredictable behavior. The typical is more what your likely experiencing, when you hit a sharp bump and it causes the tire to deflect and actually leave the road, making the car skip off track, the sensation can feel similar but its a very different thing and usually more abrupt like freeway expansion joints and potholes etc, the suspension may have only moved a fraction, not enough to cause any geometry changes. Don't start throwing money at something until you can properly diagnose what your experiencing.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
That sounds like a case of bump steer, which is a common problem in our cars. Idk why it would start happening with wider tires though. Maybe because you're pushing it harder than when you had the 225's?
Anyway, you can solve this problem with adjustable toe arms in the rear aka an anti-bumpsteer kit. I know that megan racing and J's Racing sell them, but there are probably other companies out there that make them too.
It's not bumpsteer; same degree of pushing the car, i.e. lack of pushing it on the highway, no real reason to...

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Are you running adjustable coilovers? Check your tire pressure and make sure its consistent with where you ran the 225. Sidewall construction and air pressure can make a noticeable difference in how the car behaves over irregularities in the road. This doesn't sound like a case of bump steer, it sound like simple tire deflection. Stiffer sidewall or higher air pressure can pronounce this effect. Actual bump steer is when the suspension moves through the stroke far enough that the actual wheel geometry changes, causing the car to exhibit unpredictable behavior. The typical is more what your likely experiencing, when you hit a sharp bump and it causes the tire to deflect and actually leave the road, making the car skip off track, the sensation can feel similar but its a very different thing and usually more abrupt like freeway expansion joints and potholes etc, the suspension may have only moved a fraction, not enough to cause any geometry changes. Don't start throwing money at something until you can properly diagnose what your experiencing.
No coil overs, just simple Spoon springs on OEM dampers. The tires are Hankook RS3's which do have a stiffer sidewall than the previous DZ101's which may be, as you stated, the contributing factor. Currently thinking about switching to a more all season (live in the PNW) and 245. If I do end up doing this I'll report back with the changes.

However, it does feel like something is off, almost as if the subframe is moving around in the rear...hmmm
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
No coil overs, just simple Spoon springs on OEM dampers. The tires are Hankook RS3's which do have a stiffer sidewall than the previous DZ101's which may be, as you stated, the contributing factor. Currently thinking about switching to a more all season (live in the PNW) and 245. If I do end up doing this I'll report back with the changes.

However, it does feel like something is off, almost as if the subframe is moving around in the rear...hmmm
Definitely check your subframe bolts then. There was a thread about loose subframe bolts in the R&C sub forum a while ago and a lot of owners reported having 3 or more loose subframe bolts.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Assuming this thread Loose bolts. The symptoms described by others sound very similar.

No one mentioned this, but wouldn't it be better to tighten on an alignment rack if they are indeed loose?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

So you just put larger tires on the AP1 wheels? It could be that the wider tire is to wide and thus the sidewall is now softer due to this. Also are you sure the rs3's have a stiffer sidewall because I thought I had heard the opposite.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So you just put larger tires on the AP1 wheels? It could be that the wider tire is to wide and thus the sidewall is now softer due to this. Also are you sure the rs3's have a stiffer sidewall because I thought I had heard the opposite.
Sorry, should clarify, 17x8 and 17x9, 45 offset all around...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Ah ok. I really seem to remember someone saying the RS3's had a softer sidewall but I am not sure how accurate that is but if it is true it could be the cause. I have stayed away from those tires as the amount of rain we get here is WA makes them the most dangerous to attempt to run regularly here.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Ah ok. I really seem to remember someone saying the RS3's had a softer sidewall but I am not sure how accurate that is but if it is true it could be the cause. I have stayed away from those tires as the amount of rain we get here is WA makes them the most dangerous to attempt to run regularly here.
They are soft in comparison to the other extreme summer category/class tire options, but should still be stiffer then anything in the all season line up.

Quick Reply: Skipping with wider tires?