Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SELECTING TIRES

Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sumitomo HTRZ III are fantastic. Get them from tirerack now they have a $60 rebate going on. Step up from them are the Star Specs but they'll wear faster for a dd.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill also vouch for the Sumitomo HTR-Z 3's...an awesome tire for not a lot of money
Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 PM

surprised that michelin pilot super sports never get any love around here. i run them on my car and absolutely love them. i think they are the perfect DD tires for the S2000.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
surprised that michelin pilot super sports never get any love around here. i run them on my car and absolutely love them. i think they are the perfect DD tires for the S2000.
Because you could get an Extreme Summer tire like the Star Spec for $50 less per tire than the MPSS; or a nearly equally performing Max Summer tire in the Sumitomo HTRZ3's for half the price of the MPSS.

Simply put, the MPSS' aren't worth what you pay; good tire or not. There's much more efficient ways to spend your money, unless you drive through water 24/7, then the MPSS might really outshine the Sumi's (but in no way are those sloppy by anymeans in the wet). It's a great tire don't get me wrong, but you're not getting double the life or double the performance to justify the doubled cost. Unless you have money to throw around like that then, more power to ya.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien' timestamp='1334561414' post='21611174
Because you could get an Extreme Summer tire like the Star Spec for $50 less per tire than the MPSS; or a nearly equally performing Max Summer tire in the Sumitomo HTRZ3's for half the price of the MPSS.

Simply put, the MPSS' aren't worth what you pay; good tire or not. There's much more efficient ways to spend your money, unless you drive through water 24/7, then the MPSS might really outshine the Sumi's (but in no way are those sloppy by anymeans in the wet). It's a great tire don't get me wrong, but you're not getting double the life or double the performance to justify the doubled cost. Unless you have money to throw around like that then, more power to ya.
haha... right

Yes, they are expensive but they are GOOD at things the Star Spec and other Max performance tires are NOT GOOD at. To some people, this matters and they are willing spend a little more money for these things. I am one of those people.

If all you're looking for is grip, then buy the RS3. If all you're looking for is dry summer performance, then buy the Star Spec. However if you want a lot of grip (year round), a relatively smooth ride, good treadwear, and good wet performance, your options are limited. There are countless UHP and Max Perf. tires which are "pretty good" at some of those things, but the PSS is one of the very few tires that is really good at all of those things.

Grip is absolutely staggering. Coming from the RE050, these tires are in another universe. On dry, clean pavement I have yet to make these things lose traction and I drive VERY aggressively. There is so much grip I can now feel a substantial amount of chassis flex while cornering. The car's structure felt rock solid with the RE050s, but throwing it into a corner with the PSS it grips so hard it almost feels like it hurts the car. I can't imagine anyone taking advantage of more grip than these tires offer for street driving. Even when driving with reckless abandon, I have yet to overwhelm them.

I don't drive in the rain too much, but the few times I have I've felt no hydroplaning and a very high level of grip. I don't get too crazy with it in the wet, but have had no issues with traction even when driving aggressively. The RE050s were almost comically hopeless in the wet (think ice skating).

The ride with these tires (lower profile 18s) is smoother and quieter than the OEM 17s (higher profile tire) that came off the car. I can't comment on treadwear yet, but given the ratings, this tire should last comfortably longer than the RS3 and SS.

Yes, they are pricey, but these tires are damn good and worth a serious look for anyone who has the money.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Yes, they are expensive but they are GOOD at things the Star Spec and other Max performance tires are NOT GOOD at. To some people, this matters and they are willing spend a little more money for these things. I am one of those people.
Then you picked the right tire for you. Obviously all [good] tire's, have more eggs in some baskets, than others. As I said, in no way was I knocking the tire, just stating most people probably won't get double the moneys worth out of them; you're clearly not one of those people.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 AM

I just bought and installed (this Saturday) a set of Sumitomo HTZ 3, first intial thoughts........GREAT TIRE! There grippy yet quiet. So far so good in a few days of driving. Bang for the dollar is there, plus Tire Rack rates them high. Watch the videos on their site.

I previously had the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 and they were descent. The wear was good, the rear had negative toe, so the inside wore out prematurely. I wanted to try another set, thus the Sumitomos. I don't have any real problem with Hankooks, i would rate them 7.5/10
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to used to use the sumitomo htrz3's as well. That is until I tried the Ventus V12 evo's. I find those to be much better. They were higher rated as well as right around the same price. For a daily driver they are perfect IMO. Dry or wet they are good!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Look at the Max Performance for DD. If you really want grip, then go up to the Extreme Performance.

Can't really go wrong if you look through the results listed.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 AM

I bought yokohama ADVIN. S4 ultra high performance tires for $500 and i LOVE THEM
the car has ana amazing control and the ride is smoother

Quick Reply: SELECTING TIRES