Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running 17s up front and 18s in the back?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/855...ew-quick-pics/

I've always loved the look, as long as the sidewall height is similar front and rear, which means running a smaller diameter front. It will play havoc on 06+ VSA cars however.

235/40/17 front, 265/35/18 or 255/35/18 rear will work well. Tire sidewall height should be pretty close front to back, especially with the 265 (only 1.25 mm difference in sidewall height, in theory of course).
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z dan- the op said he's is comin from ap1 not ap2 wheels so he is goin up.

S2000 junky - My rims were given to me. They are ray's gram lights 57 pro with neo chrome lips. They look really nice no plans on changing wheels yet. They are rare and discontinued. worth over 4 k new..... If I would've pick the size I would've went 17 tho cuz it's a lot cheaper on tires.

Just trying to help the op. His wheel size choice tho, I would agree with everyone. if your gona track the car go wider at least 17x7.5 front and 8.5 in the rear. N trust me it's a pain in the ass when you gotta buy tires. Hard to find the size you want plus 18 cost a lot more when your buying performance tire versus buying them in 17.

Like everyone is sayin you might want to start lookin at different set of wheels. Those size seem a little off for s2000 specs. But if your dead set on those wheels Good luck wit your build.

What wheels are you lookin at btw.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You miss the point, it was a rhetorical question. They both look absurd. Stick to either 17's all around or 18's. There is no reasonable performance benefit to mixing them up.
18s up front with 17s in back will definitely look absurd. 17s up front with 18s in back can look pretty cool, especially on the s2000 where the front fenders are so very low while the rear fenders are much taller. But you kinda have to go with larger-diameter rear tires (not necessarily ideal) or the rear tires look scrawny.

If you want to run wider then a 255/10" on this car then switch to an 18" that’s the only reason from a performance standpoint to make the switch.
I totally agree there's no valid reason to go to 18s in back unless you want or need to run street tires wider than 255, and said so a few posts up.

In the end, to each his own... AT least he's asking before just buying ridiculous tire/wheel combos!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a double staggered set up before
heres my wheel which are for sale also
HRE 543
17x9 +55 245/40/17
18x10 +45 255/35/18

^those are the spec and tires along with a drop on coils

Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/855...ew-quick-pics/

I've always loved the look, as long as the sidewall height is similar front and rear, which means running a smaller diameter front. It will play havoc on 06+ VSA cars however.

235/40/17 front, 265/35/18 or 255/35/18 rear will work well. Tire sidewall height should be pretty close front to back, especially with the 265 (only 1.25 mm difference in sidewall height, in theory of course).
Yep those RH C2's look real nice in that staggered setup. Personally I see nothing wrong with running 17's in the front and 18's in the rear. 17's in the front means cheaper wheels and especially tires. Most people don't care for larger than a 255 in the front which is perfect for 17's. 18's of course have the option of wider tires but they're more costly.

You mentioned different diameter front/rear will wreak havoc on '06+ VSA system. Do you have any details etc? Will this be for just regular putzing around or only when pushing the car? I guess the VSA system assumes equal diameter tires front/rear and different diameters would result in the system thinking there was extra slip in the front since it's rotating faster?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
You mentioned different diameter front/rear will wreak havoc on '06+ VSA system. Do you have any details etc? Will this be for just regular putzing around or only when pushing the car? I guess the VSA system assumes equal diameter tires front/rear and different diameters would result in the system thinking there was extra slip in the front since it's rotating faster?
Thait did it the right way to keep the overall diameter almost the same. The issue, as previously mentioned, is that you have more wheel/less tire sidewall in the rear which isn't a good look IMO. Cars that come stock with staggered diameter wheels ALSO come with staggered diameter tires so the tire sidewall height is the same front to rear.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Thait did it the right way to keep the overall diameter almost the same. The issue, as previously mentioned, is that you have more wheel/less tire sidewall in the rear which isn't a good look IMO. Cars that come stock with staggered diameter wheels ALSO come with staggered diameter tires so the tire sidewall height is the same front to rear.
I think you mean the right way by keeping the overall sidewall height almost the same. Yep, I understand the idea between staggered diameter tires on OEM cars so it looks good, you quoted my VSA question, did you have anything to add on how it screws up the VSA system..?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

VSA works by monitoring individual wheel speeds. Different diameters front to back will mean the wheel speeds will be different. If the front vs rear wheels are rotating at different speeds, the VSA will consider this as wheel slip. In corners, the VSA will kick in prematurely as a result. It was very noticeable when I was running a front 235/40 and rear 255/40.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love double stagger on cars with high front wheel arches.... and have had two cars with that setup.

To me, when you have a front fender where the wheel opening is cut almost to the top of the hood, there is no "body mass" above the front wheels. The rear has a bunch of body mass (6"+ of sheetmetal above the wheels) which effectively shrinks the size of the rear wheel to the naked eye. Your eye isn't a ruler... you see everything in "perspective.

The key is using a tire size calculator to figure out the sidewall height. As long as you get the same height of rubber from the top of the rim to the top of the tire, it will look good.

Both my FD RX7 and my MKII MR2 both had very high front wheel openings and large rear body mass. Double stagger looks great on both. The RX7 has 18/19 and the MR2 has 17/18:

Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by boostd92
I love double stagger on cars with high front wheel arches.... and have had two cars with that setup.

To me, when you have a front fender where the wheel opening is cut almost to the top of the hood, there is no "body mass" above the front wheels. The rear has a bunch of body mass (6"+ of sheetmetal above the wheels) which effectively shrinks the size of the rear wheel to the naked eye. Your eye isn't a ruler... you see everything in "perspective.

The key is using a tire size calculator to figure out the sidewall height. As long as you get the same height of rubber from the top of the rim to the top of the tire, it will look good.

Both my FD RX7 and my MKII MR2 both had very high front wheel openings and large rear body mass. Double stagger looks great on both. The RX7 has 18/19 and the MR2 has 17/18:

Unfortunately the s2k isnt one of those cars where this looks particularly good, couple that with the higher weight transfer to the rear from it being a higher ride height and it makes the s2k exhibit some unwanted over steer characteristics, which on the early years is especially detrimental. Its not a wheel package I would wan to try and chassis tune around, it would be like someone handing me a big handy cap and say here now make it fast. I realize a lot of you guys don’t care about performance as much as you do looks, but I think its just as an important factor for a sport car that has a pretty high bar in the performance area. I like to do things to increase that bar, not lower it for a particular look.

Those are some nice rides by the way

Quick Reply: Running 17s up front and 18s in the back?