Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running 17s up front and 18s in the back?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running 17s up front and 18s in the back?

Hey guys, I don't know if there's been any discussion on this already, but a google search didn't bring up much.

Anyways, I'm in the need of new rear tires, and I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade from the tiny AP1 wheels to 17s or maybe even 18s. I found some wheels that I really love in my price range, but the issue is they only come in 17x7s and 18x8s! Since I would want to maintain the staggered stance of the S and not reduce its handling, I began wondering about going with the 17s with 40mm offset up front and the 18s with a 35mm or 45mm offset in the rear.

What is the viability of doing something like this? Is it a bad idea? My car is stock height at the moment, so the only variable is the wheels and tires, plus I don't do any racing in it, but I would like to try doing some auto cross.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

do not do it on stock ride height. the 18"s add considerable height to the vehicle. 18x8 isn't worth the money, get an 8.5 at least.

NSXs can do it but it'd look dumb on stock height. you need coils to get rid of the higher rear end. gotta watch rolling diameters too.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very few people do it, and for good reason. It doesn't look particularly great, and you generally run into issues with fitment of some kind. 17x7 and 18x8 are both too narrow to be recommended.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deception9
do not do it on stock ride height. the 18"s add considerable height to the vehicle.
No, they DON'T add much height at all to the car, given that the tires are sized properly.

OP - make sure you size the aspect ratio properly if you do this.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Any recommendations? I'm not really well-versed on tire and wheel size with these cars.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Sure you could do it, but I wouldn't. The reasons you are considering it are silly honestly and every other car enthusiast you run into will notice and ask you your reasoning so I'm saving you some potential embarrassment and money when you decide to replace them down the road. Find a different design you like and stick with a consistent wheel diameter, and at minimum maintain the factory ap2 wheel widths.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Billytehbob
I'm not really well-versed on tire and wheel size with these cars.
clearly, so let us help you.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Sure you could do it, but I wouldn't. The reasons you are considering it are silly honestly and every other car enthusiast you run into will notice and ask you your reasoning so I'm saving you some potential embarrassment and money when you decide to replace them. Find a different design you like and stick with a consistent wheel diameter, and at minimum maintain the factory ap2 wheel widths.
Like I said, I'm still pretty wet behind the ears regarding this stuff. I'm still used to Jeep and Off-reading stuff. Everything I've read so far has been saying to maintain the staggered effect, but I wouldn't really be able to do that give the wheels I'm currently looking at. I figured the 17/18 mix could look good if done correctly, and would still maintain the overall handling of the car, but it seems to be the less traveled road, and I guess for obvious reasons. I don't want to detract from the performance over something silly like wheels.

Ideally, I'd want to pick up a set of AP2 wheels, but I can't find any used, and I don't want to be riding on worn rubber too much longer, as I don't want to accidentally damaged my car.

clearly, so let us help you.
Things like sizes, widths, and offsets. I'm more used to looking at tires in regards to a 30" tire, or 33", but not 225 and 245. Then throw in offsets and width and I get pretty confused.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Community Organizer

I come from a 4x4 background as well( Toyota pickup guy) anyway the look of the wheels you like will be diminished by a noticeable fatter looking front tire, which is what it will look like if you are to size the tires right for same overall diameter. Make sense? So first step is to find another wheel you like the looks of that comes in the right sizes. If you are not interested in doing any fender modifications, the wheel fitment thread is something you need to get familiar with, it will tell you what fits width and offset wise for the s.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 PM

I come from a 4x4 background as well( Toyota pickup guy) anyway the look of the wheels you like will be diminished by a noticeable fatter looking front tire, which is what it will look like if you are to size the tires right for same overall diameter. Make sense?
Totally, I just figured it'd give my S that racecar-fast look I needed at the stop lights or something

I'll get to reading the guide, I'll have plenty of time to do so tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Running 17s up front and 18s in the back?