Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rota Wheel discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that rota and other companies don't design there own wheels but that is not the whole reason people buy them. Take the spoon sw88. That rim is the most basic 5 star design that has been around sence cavemen had rims. The only reason that rotas are that cheap is that they are cast and not forged. You can only do so much with wheel design. I know there are those posers that buy copy wheels and claim they are legit but those are the same people that have neon tubes on there 5ft aluminum wings. I wouldn't mine getting some slipstreams on my ride due to the fact that it's my daily driver and I'll sleep better at night knowing I have $800 rims and not $2000 wheels. If you want to be big time and get high dollar wheels, GO AHEAD. But it is not right to try to force others to follow "If it's not JDM it's not right BS!!!"
Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tons of people have had great experience with Rota's including myself. I could care less about this copy cat BS. I work to support a family of my own. When I have the extra stash to blow it on a set of wheels without ever feeling too cautious to drive them around the way I play with my car then I'll pick up a set. Until then, I'll roll either stock or maybe pick up a set of Rota's for cheap. The last thing I want to think about when I'm doing spirited canyon runs is whether the road up ahead might gash my wheels.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM

I thought it said "Rota Wheel Discussion" I was just trying to have a discussion and see what people thought, not turn it into some JDM fanboy pissing contest.

Everybody seems to have gotten all upset because I dont like the Company or the way they do business .

Have fun and enjoy your Rotas
Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM

if rota made a 3 piece copy of my work s1's in the same offsets,
i would've def gotten them and saved some $$ for other mods
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 AM
BVE

I've owned 3 sets of Rotas.
CRX, EK Civic and ITR.

never had any problems with them! when it comes to the quality of the wheels, they're good quality cast wheels. Nothing more, nothing less.

The ONLY downside to Rotas, is the fact that they copy designs. Great for people with less money to throw away on wheels. I even doubt they lower the value of real wheels, as those prices stay pretty high imho.

I'm getting my S the day after tomorrow and will be running stock for about 6 months... after that it'll either be RPF1s or, if they have decent sizes for the S, Rotas once again.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think there's quality issue with rota, they are great for the price.

they are great if you can live/see pass the fact that they are copy
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM

I like the Rota slipstreams...they're not as light as the SW388's, but they're not heavy by any means, either. I'm thinking of going with some 17 staggered slipstreams, since my all time favorite wheel, the BBS RK, isn't made in any sizes that even come close to fitting an s2k.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

I think the customer should buy their wheels in accordance with their budget and what suites their needs..
I believe rota will probably never come out with their on designs (my opinion) because,by copying wheel design that have been already R&D and tested to its full potencial,helps rota minimized their testing and lowering their failure rate. the design of the wheel also helps its structure integrity and strenght. (but of couse the metal forming process is crucial and primary and thats what differences rota from lets say rays and desmond) main reason why rota is so cheap in prices is because all the R&d and real life testing(road/track) has already been done by the original wheel design owner,making rotas job real easy.
my 2 cents
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by lagunaS2,Jan 16 2008, 10:35 AM
I believe rota will probably never come out with their on designs (my opinion) because,by copying wheel design that have been already R&D and tested to its full potencial,helps rota minimized their testing and lowering their failure rate. the design of the wheel also helps its structure integrity and strenght.
I agree people should buy mods within there budget, but the rest of the statement is not true.

At least in the case of the C8's (Rotas MF8 copies) Mugen (or Rays) spent a lot of time R&D'ng the shape of the spokes and how they merge int the hub area and when Rota made their copies they did not do the same some of the spokes collide with the holes for the lugs (because they are universal wheels) in my opinion that is a poor design and could weaken the wheel. Not saying it does, but it could

They base their designs on trends and popularity of specific designs not based on making strong wheels, though I am sure their wheels meet whatever standards they have in the Phillipines
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 AM

neveronlines2k -you're being honest and at least you stated why you don't like Rotas.

lagunaS2 - "I think the customer should buy their wheels in accordance with their budget and what suites their needs.."

Budget and needs are the main factors for choosing certain items for our cars. I'm saving up for a house and I'd like to splurge on some baller JDM rims,but now isn't the time for me to be lusting after some Regamasters.

Quick Reply: Rota Wheel discussion