Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rota Wheel discussion

Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rota Wheel discussion

browsing through the gallery i keep reading: "why put cheap wheels on a nice car?" where does this bad aura come from? Ive read in the PAST they have cracked for people, but i have NEVER read that anyone has had problems with their Rota wheels for the s2k.

I'd like to keep this post as informative as possible for all people who are contemplating rotas whether the feedback is good or bad. Please understand everyone has their own views on cost/benefit and that modding a car is strictly a matter of taste. No flames. pics welcome
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
z4k

FRom what I have seen they are good wheels for Daily but not Track. I'm guessing the casting process is as good as the top brands.

I'd defiantly rock some Slipstreams if they came 16x8 & 16x9. Maybe I'll just widen a pair.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM

They aren't that light, but they aren't that heavy either. And there are plenty of not so light expensive wheels out there.

If you are just in it for the look, then I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Well, I guess the question is: "Why put cheap wheels on a nice car?"

The OEM wheels are really quite nice and of a high quality whether you are talking about AP1, AP2, AP2.5, or arguably, the new CR style wheel.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive got slips on my car and i always get compliments on them,since ive had them ive never heard anything negative,even when they ask and I say theyre Rotas. I bought these wheels from another member who has been through multiple track days,ive been through one so far and they have given me NO problems.I daily drive these wheels as well.
16x7 +48 and 16x8 +40 in the rear.
I figure if i damage a wheel at the track or i hit a pothole or something its only 150 for a new one.
And before someone says something NO those are not the stock lugs

I love them,I think they look great and perform just as great so far.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 AM
z4k

Originally Posted by pepperinyoureye,Jan 15 2008, 07:37 AM
Ive got slips on my car and i always get compliments on them,since ive had them ive never heard anything negative,even when they ask and I say theyre Rotas. I bought these wheels from another member who has been through multiple track days,ive been through one so far and they have given me NO problems.I daily drive these wheels as well.
16x7 +48 and 16x8 +40 in the rear.
I figure if i damage a wheel at the track or i hit a pothole or something its only 150 for a new one.

I love them,I think they look great and perform just as great so far.
NICE! I too like this setup! I just long for a wider rear wheel. It is just the 240 owner in me that wants low offset and wide wheels still. But the Slips do look quite nice.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had many sets of Rotas on my othe hondas and never had a problem. When you compare them to expensive wheels you can see the difference. That doesnt make them bad. That is why they cost less.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM

I think they look great! and they are very light weight!
mine are 17" staggered

i'm selling these though. cant afford to have 2 sets of wheels anymore.. PM me for details
Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 AM

My problem with Rota is not how they make they wheels or if they are strong or weak... its the fact that the dont make their own designs . The same reason I never liked Tenzo R/Seibon/VIS/etc. or any other copy cat company.

I could care less how much $$$ people spend on their own wheels. I like Emotions and RPF01's and those are not expensive wheels. Its what Rota does to the market that makes me upset They copy the best wheels for the Japenese market and destroy the originality and value to make a quick buck. I saw a Nissan 240 the other day with Rota C8's on it .

Would most of the people who buy Rota's still by them if the did not copy companies like: Spoon/Desmond, Mugen, Racing Hart, SSR, WEDsports and etc.????

I think not....
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 AM

^^^ Well that's really a moot point isnt it? I mean they dont have any original designs for the most part so asking a question like that cant have an answer.

I've had Rota's on my Prelude for about 6 years and I've yet to bend one. We're talking 140k plus driving in that time and countless potholes from driving in NYC and the surrounding boroughs as well as the crappy NJ roads in the winter. The price is good, the looks are good, but like others have said when you get up close its obvious why they're cheaper then their JDM counterparts.

BTW, I've seen MANY more sets of expensive wheels get bent then Rota's. Volk, Racing Hart, Work, etc... Rota did have a bad batch of wheels a few years back and seems to still be taking heat for those.

Quick Reply: Rota Wheel discussion