Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rota Slipstreams wheels, fit or not?

Old 03-18-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is simple. If you don't wanna spend several thousand on wheels, don't get wheels at all.

Rotas do not belong on S2000s. Knockoff shit is as ricey as you can get.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Forgetting the "rice" factor (on which I have no opinion), don't cheap out on your wheels, Jackson. You'll probably regret that in the long run.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:55 PM

so with limited budget, what other rims out there i can buy ?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by jackson1628
so with limited budget, what other rims out there i can buy ?
Stock.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock rims.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:09 PM

rota dont make 16x8

they do have 16x7 offset 45

go with stock wheels. imo
Old 03-19-2003, 04:35 AM

ROTA. They belong on Preludes and shit.

~Raymond
Old 03-19-2003, 04:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok unless you have used Rota's don't knock their strength. While I wouldn't put it on my S2000. I did run them on my winter beater CRX. The Rota Slipstreams in 15" took one hell of a pounding over the course of a year that I had them. Potholes, metal plates on the LIE. Didn't matter no bends, scratches, dents at all. Frankly for the $360 the cost me I think they are better quality then any Enkei wheel I have owned (including the stock Enkei's on the S2000). In the end the were stolen. But Rota is ISO certified so they have standards, the wheels are also forged so stronger then the cheapo knockoffs of a lot of other companies. So if you have a second car that could use a slight upgrade in wheels, I say go for it. But for the S2000 they just don't make a staggered width. If they did they would be a good consideration for track wheels.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:09 AM

Soooooo many wheel experts in here eh?

I love the "those wheels don't belong on an S2000" turned cheek comments as if by buying a quad, you're going to hurt your car's feelings. This is typical S2ki.com wheel snobbery at its finest, usually only rivaled by the Audi forums. Unbeknownst to many, a great deal of Konig wheels (decent low to mid-priced wheels) are made by Rota. I've owned two sets of Rota's (Miata and MR2-S) and they were VERY well made and very light for a cast wheel. I NEVER had a problem with a bent wheel, unlike many Miata owners who have experienced the less than stellar track record with the $315 SSR Competition and its pot hole horror stories. Ask any Mazda Miata owner about Rota wheels. Very few have been disappointed, if any. Not the best fit for the car for sure but they tuck under the fender wells better than the beloved Spoon wheels they are modeled after. Check this out:
A quick rundown on the Rota's vs. Spoons.
Front Spoons on stock tires goes outboard 1.037 inches
Rear Spoons on stock tires goes outboard 1.037 inches
Front Rotas on stock tires goes outboard 0.643 inches
Rear Rotas on stock tires goes outboard 0.537 inches
They are available in 16x7, 5x114.3, ET45.
By placing the stock tires on an 8-inch wheel in the rear, you have increased the rear tire tread width to 8.9-inches. Using a 16x7 on the fronts and you have 7.3-inches for a stagger of 1.6-inches (measurement only).
With the Rotas, using the 16x7 on the rears creates a tread width of 8.5-inches while a 16x7 on the front results in a width of 7.3-inches for a stagger of 1.2-inches.
So, these POS Rota's, as many have suggested, provide 1.2-inches of stagger with the stock OEM tires as opposed to the Spoon wheels which provide 1.6-inches, which incidently, is the stock stagger, tread voids notwithstanding.
Bottom line...probably fine for all but the most demanding driver who by the third turn of a road course, could sense a .4-inch stagger decrease. I dare say most S2000 owners during the course of a year's worth of running 7/10th's with the Rota's, could not nor would ever be able to sense a .4 inch deviation in tread stagger though in their own minds, I'm sure they believe they can. Sometimes owning a great car makes average drivers think they're great. My money is on a great driver at Laguna Seca with the Rotas embarassing an average driver with the OEM wheels. Besides, for the most part, these cars are tooling around country roads, taking weekend trips and straight line fun. With the exception of the hard core racers who post in the appropriate forum, how many "ran a canyon today" threads do you read per week?
And yet we have the "stagger studs" who think losing .4 inches is a sure-fire way to meet your maker.

Again, not the best choice but if you only have $1K in your wallet and you want new S0-2's and 16-inch wheels, the Slipstreams are every bit as good as anything you're going to find in a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and that INCLUDES the hideously expensive $1800 Spoon's and SSR's.
Pothole anyone?
Old 03-19-2003, 06:54 AM

...excellent point. I personally have owned two different sets of Rotas and about 5 different sets of Konig. Nothing I have ever owned took beatings like these wheels. Meanwhile, Ive heard of/seen Volk and Spoon wheels bend in half on potholes that were half of the size that I used to hit with Rota/Konig wheels.

I also think wheel choice has a lot to do with where you live. Living on Long Island, where the roads are terrible, Im not too secure about spending 2-3K on wheels that Im almost positive I will bend...you cant avoid every pothole every time.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:43 PM

yea, roads r terrible here, so i think it's better for me to stick w/ the low to mid priced range rims.

I think I'll try Rota or Enkei RPM, my friend sells Rota rims, he had sold several rota rims w/ no complaints.

I know most of u guys think the Rota doesn't belong to the s2000, but i really don't want to spend over $1k on rims. Like i said, roads r terrible here, also, i dun think anyone will be interested stealing a set of Rotas.

Quick Reply: Rota Slipstreams wheels, fit or not?