Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rota D2 17" w/OEM caliper fit

Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rota D2 17" w/OEM caliper fit

I'd like to get Rota D2's at 17". However, there are rumors on this forum that the 17" D2's don't fit (that they strike the OEM brake calipers), while the 18" do.

However, not a single poster has actually tried the 17" D2's as far as I can tell. All that's been said is that "rumors are the 17" D2's don't fit" or "the sales guy says it doesn't work with the calipers."

Has anyone actually tried to fit a 17" D2? Instead of just hearing unconfirmed rumors about it?

Seems to me from all the photos and offsets that it makes no sense that the 17" D2s would strike the caliper while the 18's wouldn't. The 17" ones come +45 front, +50 rear. The 18" ones come +48 front, +50 rear. Does +45 for this wheel somehow just not work, whereas +45 for almost any other wheel works just fine for OEM calipers? Something about this just doesn't make sense.

If you've actually tried a 17" D2 and failed, please share your experience! Thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit curious as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM

This is a very valid point, I would like to know as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM

One thing I noticed when looking at pics of the 18" wheels is that the spokes stick out pretty far from the even the fender. Here's a pic below to show you what I mean.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

its not just the offset, its the spoke design that wont clear the calipers

the 18s were made after knowing the fact that the 17s wont clear, thats probably why rota redesign the spoke a bit

i dont have first hand experience but if EVERYONE said it wont clear including a retailer that i emailed...then theres probably a very slim chance that they were all lying
Old 03-02-2007, 04:18 AM

Are these wheels supposed to mimic the SSR SP1's or the Work Meisters? The spokes on the Work Meisters do tend stick out more than the SSR's. Unless Rota was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM

The spokes, as they're pictured, do not look at all like they would hit the calipers. If anything, they look like BBK's would fit mighty awesome in them.

I get that everybody is saying that the 17"s don't fit. But not a single person can say that they've tried it. Where is this information coming from? (BTW, I don't at all think that retailers are just "lying" about it -- I just don't want it to be the type of thing where one person says something, then 10 people repeat it).

For instance, have you heard the story about frogs and hot water? The story goes that if you put a frog in boiling water, it'll jump out. But if you put it in warm water, and slowly heat it to boiling, the frog won't notice, and will boil to death. This anecdote is repeated by folks all the time -- I hear it at least once every few months. Turns out it's completely false. Frogs will jump out of warm water as it gets hotter, and will get literally frantic as the temperature gets too hot (as you'd expect, frankly).

Can a single person who has tried to fit 17" D2's speak up? Is there anyone that's not just repeating a rumor?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

For instance, have you heard the story about frogs and hot water? The story goes that if you put a frog in boiling water, it'll jump out. But if you put it in warm water, and slowly heat it to boiling, the frog won't notice, and will boil to death. This anecdote is repeated by folks all the time -- I hear it at least once every few months. Turns out it's completely false. Frogs will jump out of warm water as it gets hotter, and will get literally frantic as the temperature gets too hot (as you'd expect, frankly).
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Any interest in arranging a GB for this? I called the US Rota importer, who seems open to the idea of doing 17" D2's at a custom offset (which could eliminate caliper rubbing). We'd have to do 5+ sets.

Let me know.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM

ooo i'm down for that. i didn't get the 18's cause they looked too big. i'm in as long as it's not going to cost an arm and a leg more.

Quick Reply: Rota D2 17" w/OEM caliper fit