Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Dry Winter Driving

Old 01-20-2006, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for Dry Winter Driving

I'm looking for recommendations on what kind of tires to buy for my winter situation. I have a 4x4 beater to drive when the conditions call for it. I still want to drive my S2000 year round though. I'd like to drive it on dry winter days. No standing snow but temps are usually below freezing and sometimes down to zero or so. I've got a set of Blizzak WS-50s right now but I find they give up way too much in handling for me to be happy with them. I know they are supposed to be awesome in the snow but I don't plan on driving in the snow. I'd like a tire that can handle the freezing temps and still have decent handling. Can I get away with a good all-season tire or should I go for a "high performance" winter tire?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd recommend a set of "performance snow tires". You might think they're just for performance cars, but not so. the performance title just means they are optimised as much for dry roads and maybe not so much for ice.

Where I live we only get snow 5-10 times a year and then it's cleaned off the streets in a day or so. So mainly I drive on dry roads, but the snow tires are there for the few times when I drive on snow covered roads.

I have Dunlop winter sport for both my S2000 and my Sienna. I couldn't be happier. I think they drive similar to an all season tire when it's dry out, but do superb in wet/cold or snow.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 AM

Dunlop Winter Sport M3s.... they've been great so far. Snow, ice and cold. I read many posts about dedicated snow tires and sport snows before I purchased these. I was planning on the Blizzak LM-22s, but apparently they only offer one of the two sizes we need. I can't remember if it's the front or rear size they stopped producing.

Not much of a handling issue either. There is a difference obviously, but much better than I anticipated!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:30 PM

I've been using LM-22s for 4 years now and I love them.

Great on dry roads, but will get you home when the fit hits the shan.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:39 PM

LM-22's Make the car fun in the snow! Plus they're great in the rain.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 AM

Know anywhere you can still buy the LM-22s or Winter Sport M3s?

Are all-season tires safe in dry sub freezing temps?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, all seasons work in freezing temperatures, and I don't know why people are recommending you get snow tires when you said in your post you weren't going to be driving in snow!

If you drive snow tires when it's NOT cold as hell, they wear quickly.

Get some all-seasons!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 AM

Just to be perfectly clear all-seasons will work fine even when its way below freezing? 0-15 degrees isn't unusual around here in the winter months.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:09 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes all season tires will work in cold temps. However if you have a dedicated tires only for winter (IMO) performance winter tires are the way I would go. If they are only on 4 months out of the year they will surely last 4-5 years (typical driving). Plus if you're beater is out of action or you get caught out in a surprize snow storm it's better to have snow tires than all season. But if you are sure you'll never drive in snow/ice all season should be OK.

Here is some info from I found:
Tires marked "M + S" ( "mud and snow" tires), also known as "all-season" tires, provide safe all-weather performance, but may not be suitable in heavy snow.

According to the Rubber Association of Canada, all-season tires tend to stiffen and lose gripping power around zero Celsius. This loss of traction on icy or snow-covered roads may become critical for safety as the temperature drops.

In regions with little snow and moderate winter temperatures, all-season tires may be suitable throughout the year. However, wherever cold or snowy winters are the rule, snow tires become a necessary safety precaution. In deep snow, winter treads improve traction by allowing the tire to rid itself of snow as it rolls, giving it a clear bite on the road.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:31 PM

like I said, this is my FIFTH season on the same LM22s - with lots of dry pavement driving - still going strong.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Dry Winter Driving