Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end of car floats around after new rear tires?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end of car floats around after new rear tires?

I was running 245 in the rear before with no issues. I'm currently making 370 whp on a turbo kit. With my 245's, I was able to hit 140 mph in a very stable manner. Acceleration stayed straight and true. Last week, I upgraded to 255's in the rear, and that's when the issues started happening. After the rear tire install, I noticed the rear end drifting the faster i went. I could not get pass 100 mph without the car getting too scary. I got an alignment the next day, and have since put 200 miles on these tires. Although not as bad, it still drifts left and right when I get on the gas during 60+ mph speeds. Do you guys still think my alignment is out of wack? Or are the 255's messing with my suspension geometry some how? Btw, the 245 and 255 are the same brand tire. Hankook K110.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're likely feeling the Mold-Release agent on the tire causing it to be slipping around. When the tire is made a fairly severe release agent is used so the mold doesn't stick to the tire(heat + pressure = Rubber sticks to things). The drawback is that the Mold release does impregnate the rubber slightly and leaves a shiny almost greasy surface to the tire. Depending on manufacturer they could be worse, or better...but generally after 500 miles the Mold release has worn off.

-Froth
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Froth.
You're likely feeling the Mold-Release agent on the tire causing it to be slipping around. When the tire is made a fairly severe release agent is used so the mold doesn't stick to the tire(heat + pressure = Rubber sticks to things). The drawback is that the Mold release does impregnate the rubber slightly and leaves a shiny almost greasy surface to the tire. Depending on manufacturer they could be worse, or better...but generally after 500 miles the Mold release has worn off.

-Froth
I guess that means I have 300 miles to go. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

or you can just go do some donuts
actually though,...^ he is correct, although i feel like mine were greasy for like 700 miles
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
or you can just go do some donuts
actually though,...^ he is correct, although i feel like mine were greasy for like 700 miles
I would love to, but I don't want to have a blown diff.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make absolutely sure your tire pressures are totally even left to right.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike
Make absolutely sure your tire pressures are totally even left to right.
I just checked it and it's fine. My car is very twitchy and still likes to float around at higher speeds. It's getting annoying!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know what your alignment numbers are? Too little toe might cause instability. Release compound and tread squirm could also be contributing.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Really quick but when you change the tire size with the same width rim it's possible the sidewall height and contact patch are different - also tires arent the same in all sizes it's possible that the different size is causing tramling as well or your old tires may have been stiff from heat cycling and low tread depth would have reduced tread squirm.

Here's a quick graphic that should show a difference in contact patch and sidewall height based on sizing.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike
Do you know what your alignment numbers are? Too little tow might cause instability. Release compound and tread squirm could also be contributing.
I have no idea the numbers.

Quick Reply: Rear end of car floats around after new rear tires?