Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick quesion...

Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick quesion...

I just put a nail through my rear right and needed new ires soon anyway, should I absolutly change my front tires to the same type as well even though their wear is no where near done? Or will I be fine with new tires in the rear of a different brand?

I was thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R or Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Thanks guys
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM

oh well, never got an answer although 45 views should have landed at least one opinion. I ended up going and gettin them. I love new tires
Old 09-29-2008, 11:16 AM

not necessary of coarse but definately highly recommended. If you had a MY06+ with VSA your VSA would go crazy on the freeway for any normal turn.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armeN,Sep 29 2008, 11:16 AM
not necessary of coarse but definately highly recommended. If you had a MY06+ with VSA your VSA would go crazy on the freeway for any normal turn.
with any aftermarket tires? or just mismatched tires..how is vsa disturbed a lot by this? jw
Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM

You don't absolutely need to get matching front and rear tires but it's recommended. From talking to the guys in the tire shops, they are able to determine if the tread on your two sets of tires match enough to be installed on the same car.

Make a trip to down to your tire installer and ask before purchasing.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM

brand plays a roll as well as mis matched. for example if you are replacing your rear tires and your front tires are usable but not near new you may experiance the VSA kicking in on sharper turns or high speeds. My buddy used different brand back tires and different fron tires both new and the VSA was kicking in. It's very sensative to what the tread depth is and what kind of tires they are. So in this case if the OP decided to go with a different brand of tires for one of the rear tires and he had a VSA it would go crazy therefore I wouldnt recommend doing it.

oh and btw my buddy mixed dunlpop rears with bridgestone fronts. I mixed original birdgestones with BF goodrich rears and the system went crazy as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 PM

The main issue with VSA is the overall tire diameter and not tread pattern. But this is moot anyway as the OP doesn't have VSA.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Well I have a 2000 so I'm good I got some michellin pilot sport and I love em, I wish I had em in the front now but I simply didn't have the extra cash at the moment.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is probably more of a personal preference but besides watching the tread depth, I also don't run tires that are too old. Some non-daily driven cars will have decent tread but if the tires are over 5-6 years old and you're the second owner, I'd be on the lookout for sidewall cracks or other signs of mechanical damage like bad scuffs.

So long you run the same tires on the same "axle" you should be fine.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM

You are just getting the same "model" of tires right?

To me, mismatch in front and rear isn't so big of a deal for 2-wheel drive cars. As long as they are the same kind and the thread wear aren't dramatically different ... I would say that's okay.

Anyway, my friend just got her TT's tire replaced. Her front tire has a hole, and the dealer replaced ONLY the blown tire. I told her to go back to the dealer and get the other one replaced as well, but the dealer insisted it's okay ... @_@ ... even though the other side's tire's clearly has quite a bit of wear already.

Quick Reply: quick quesion...