Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question regarding tread direction- confused!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question regarding tread direction- confused!

hi there, im a long time lurker here and hoping to get an s2000 this summer, but ive got a question regarding my honda accord tires and was hoping someone could help me out. i feel like its a noob question but i bought some bridgestone potenza re760 summer tires for my car last summer at costco and they mounted them of course. i was just swapping them back on after winter today and noticed that the tread on either side of the car seems to face in opposite directions. theres nothing on the tire regarding rotation direction, just inside vs outside stamped on the wall and all four are oriented properly.

here is a link to the tire. http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ...za_RE760_Sport

the tires have two circumferential tread areas on the inner portion of the tire, but the middle and outer portion fans out. the problem on my car is that on one side of the car they fan out forwards, and on the other side of the car they fan out backwards. this will always be the case no matter which rim you put at which corner. did costco mess up or is it meant to be this way? it seems wrong to me... lol.

thank you so much for your help!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

The tires are asymmetric, so there is a side that faces out as you noted.
The pattern is directional, but it spins one way on the left and the other way on the right.

Because they're both asymmetric and with a directional pattern, there would have to be dedicated left- and right-side tires for them to both spin the same way.

I.e., CostCo didn't do anything wrong, you're totally fine if the side marked as "OUTSIDE" is indeed on the outside at all four corners.