Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting non "high-end" wheels on your S2K

Old 04-10-2006, 04:49 AM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting non "high-end" wheels on your S2K

I'm not talking ultra high-end like iForged and HRE's, but I am talking about the more popular wheels ie: Volk, Work, SSR, Advan, etc.

I'm thinking of changing the look of my car with some new wheels, but am having a hard time finding something that a.) fits my car, b.) doesn't cost $2K+ and c.) doesn't have a 3 month wait.

Seems like just about everyone who decides to change the wheels on their S2K goes with one of the brands I listed above. Most of those wheels are forged and lightweight, which is what makes them popular for the track. But what about the many people (over half I would imagine) that get new wheels but never actually take their car to any track event? I know ultimately, whatever a person does with their own car is their decision... but what about the "other" wheel companies out there that make wheels for looks and not really for performance. What are your thoughts about putting those wheels on your car?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin - I've always been an advocate for "you get what you pay for". I've had Volks, SSR's, and iForged (of the names you listed) and been happy with all of them.

It seems that wheels under $2,000 aren't the best fitting wheels - nothing to say against their durability because I have nothing to back that up......however there are plenty of high end wheels that don't fit well either. If it were me, and cost was an issue, I would try to get one of "more-known" brands used.

Now I'm moving this thread to the Tires and Wheels forum
Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Apr 10 2006, 08:54 AM
Kevin - I've always been an advocate for "you get what you pay for". I've had Volks, SSR's, and iForged (of the names you listed) and been happy with all of them.

It seems that wheels under $2,000 aren't the best fitting wheels - nothing to say against their durability because I have nothing to back that up......however there are plenty of high end wheels that don't fit well either. If it were me, and cost was an issue, I would try to get one of "more-known" brands used.

Now I'm moving this thread to the Tires and Wheels forum
Whoops my bad Alex, I thought product inquiry questions went in S2000 Talk. Excuse my noobiness.

Yeah, that's kind of where my question was going... is it a "you get what you pay for" type of deal, or are people just buying the popular names because they're popular? I've never really considered dropping $2K on wheels before I got my S2K, but now I'm finding myself looking at the likes of Volk, Work, SSR, etc. I just don't know if I can swallow the prices!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think $2,000 is bad, start pricing out wheels for the M3!

You're right Kevin, product inquiries go in S2000 Talk - except - wheels and tires.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only two discount brands I can name, Katana and Diablo (both use the same company to make wheels). I had lots of problems with on my old Eclipse. Fitment wasn't the best, I bent two of them on relatively small pot holes, and the finish didn't hold up well.

My SSR Competitions on the other hand ($1600) have worked out great. They are light, strong, and the finish is great. I probably saved more money not having to replace bent rims than it cost me to buy the SSR's. NJ roads are like driving a mine field sometimes.

Heh, on the flip side anyone in NJ want 2 Katana 18x7.5 +42 wheels and two 18x7.5 +45 wheels? I even have a spare rim that was never mounted ( I think one is bent ). They still have Yokohama DB2's with lots of tread. I'll GIVE them to anyone who gets them out of my storage closet!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Former Moderator

2g's for VOLKS for the s2000 is quite minimal when you see how much rims for other high end cars go.

Some people shell out 5g's for rims/tires on cars.

Since the s2000 is now being purchased by the younger crowd with less mod money, i have a feeling that alot of the rim companies are going to jump on the s2000. Rota has already.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off who said I- forged and HRE were ultra high end? They buy product from other people and assemble them. Thant doesn't sound like high end to me. I can't speak for the other companies but SSR makes forged wheels and does all of the work in house. Price alone does not make something quality.
As long as the wheels are JWL or German TUV approved you should be fine.
If I can help let me know.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Apr 10 2006, 09:47 AM
2g's for VOLKS for the s2000 is quite minimal when you see how much rims for other high end cars go.

Some people shell out 5g's for rims/tires on cars.

Since the s2000 is now being purchased by the younger crowd with less mod money, i have a feeling that alot of the rim companies are going to jump on the s2000. Rota has already.
Oh, believe me I know that $2K is barely scratching the surface as far as what SOME people pay for their wheels. It's just that different people are willing to spend different amounts. I'd have to have pretty much an unlimited budget before I'd be comfortable dropping $4K+ on wheels for ANY car.

It is true that the "younger" crowd is starting to pick up used S2Ks now, and can't afford $2K for wheels, but for the rest of us (especially those that are married) even though we can afford it, it might be tough to justify dropping $2500 or more on rims and tires. Then again, I want a supercharger as well, so I'm going to have to choose my battles with the wife.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack,Apr 10 2006, 11:46 AM
First off who said I- forged and HRE were ultra high end? They buy product from other people and assemble them. Thant doesn't sound like high end to me. I can't speak for the other companies but SSR makes forged wheels and does all of the work in house. Price alone does not make something quality.
As long as the wheels are JWL or German TUV approved you should be fine.
If I can help let me know.
I was basing my "ultra high end" statement solely on their price alone. I certainly don't mean to start an argument over wheel quality.

But maybe you can help me. I'm finding, as a lot of people already know, it is hard to find wheels that offer the proper fitment and stagger on the S2K. Specifically, I'm looking for something either gloss black, gold, bronze, or black chrome WITH a polished lip in a properly staggered 17" size. What do you guys carry that fits that description at the Tire Rack? When I check your site, it seems that my selection is only limited to about 6 or 7 wheels. Is that correct?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 AM

That's the problem, most companies make offsets for the civic, sentra, dsm crowd. Also the american cars. They don't bother with the low production cars, and when they do its generaly expensive because they know it won't sell in the same numbers.

It sucks, but we're stuck. You ever consider powder coating your rims the color you want? I rather like the 2004 rims myself, its much cheaper to have them powder coated the color you want. And the rims are much better quality the cheap brand X.

Quick Reply: Putting non "high-end" wheels on your S2K