Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick my new wheels Poll

Old 02-11-2002, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick my new wheels Poll

Down to the wire folks. Any/all opinions welcomed.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:16 AM

Tell us more about your car..

Colour? (Ext/Int)
Plan to put to bodykit?
Specs of the wheels? (what they made of, wheights, offsets)
Old 02-12-2002, 11:59 AM

Suzuka Blue
No body kits
Didn't want to list the general specs of each wheel because they're basically all the same with regards
to price and construction (1 piece alloy). No forged stuff here. The only significant difference would
be in the RT Penta, which weighs a remarkable 18.5-lbs (which is great for an 18-inch wheel) and its offset
is 47mm as opposed to 42 for the Velox, Wizdom, Shu and Raptor MZ-1. The Raptor has a carbon fiber appearance on the surface of the wheel which looks spectacular in person. The pic can't really show it. Unfortunately, it weighs 25-lbs for the 17-inch size. I'm leaning towards the Sokudo in gold simply because against the suzuka blue backdrop, it should look pretty awesome. Gun metal wheels look ok if they come with a polished lip. An all-black wheel to me doesn't look good next to a tire. It needs that separation of a nice 1 or 2-inch polished or machined lip. The Velox's can be bought for $699/4 shipped to my door. The RT Penta is around $825, the Sokudo $700, the Raptor $925, the Shu $800 and the Wizdom $800. I like the Wizdom as well because it looks like an exotic Japanese Mugen-style wheel and the good thing about that wheel is in an 18-inch size, the width is only 7-inches so it helps to deal with it's low offset # of 42.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:41 PM

I think the ADR in gold are the nicest.
And IMO a blue car with gold wheels are a great combination.

Jonas
Old 02-13-2002, 02:56 AM

FWIW, the Wizdom I found out this morning, in an 18x7 weighs just 18-lbs.
Lighter than the RT Penta. Pretty darn light for an 18-inch wheel me thinks. I'm leaning towards the Sokudo because I think the gold would really work well with the blue exterior. Decisions....ugh!
Thanks to date for everyone's contribution.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're all good looking wheels, IMO, but what's the deal with the multiple holes for different bolt patterns? Honestly I think that's cheesy...if the wheel manufacturer want to cut costs by making all the different holes in one casting, at least put an f'in cover over the bolt holes so I'm not tempted to glue Budweiser caps in there every time I walk by one of those cars.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:47 PM

I'd go for the lightest one with the offset closest to stock that will still fit.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:37 AM

I have always like the Shu4's and never knew they made a Shu5. Wow, where can i get some info on the Shu5's? My pic is the Shu5's.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:19 AM
S2R

when you pick your rims take into consideration that they should be forged, so that they'll be lighter and stronger than oem. also, take a look at the FAQ to get the right offsets. i am pretty sure none of those that you've listed will meet any of those characteristics.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:02 AM

The Shu-5 is their latest style suitable for 5 lug applications. As far as forged wheels go, not everyone wants to spend
that kind of money on aftermarket wheels and while in most cases they indeed, are stronger, they're not always lighter. KMC's one-piece Wizdom weighs just 18-lbs in the 18-inch size noted above. Rota, who makes wheels for Konig, also has a sub zero and circuit 8 that are both incredibly light for a cast wheel. Many Miata owners have
complained that the SSR Competition bends way too easy and are not as durable as cast wheels. I won't go into that argument
but there is no way that any aftermarket wheel choice for the S2000 should be restricted to high priced exotic wheels. Also,
the wheel FAQ, while earnest in its attempt to help with offsets and new tire/wheel combinations, is significantly incomplete
with applicable combinations. My short time here, including a perusal of every single post submitted in this forum for the
past year (lots of reading and a quick cable connection) has enlightened me that a great deal of owners have relatively little
experience with tires/wheels and how different combinations will work. I cite as an example a recent post which stated that
despite it's 225mm OEM size, the S0-2 actually has the width of a 245mm tire. How can that be if in the same post, the guy
states the OEM rear tire is a shade under 9-inches wide? 225mm is 8.86 inches and 245mm is nearly 10 inches. Say what?
Many who are quick to recommend 245-265mm tires under their cars seem to gloss over the fact that you can't put a tire that
size on a 7-7.5-inch wheel and if the wheel itself remains OEM in width, then for every 1mm off offset lost by choosing a wheel
with a lower numbered ET, you're only losing .04 of an inch, so you CAN go with offsets in the 40-48 range as long as the
wheel width remains OEM and tire widths are below 245. To wrap it up...ALL of my chosen wheels are suitable for the S2000
but no, they are not forged $500 wheels. They all will fit, given my choices of tire width and wheel width. Perhaps this link
should be added to the wheels FAQ because while certainly posted with honorable intent, there is a TON of misinformation flowing around this Tire/Wheel forum (not from Jim) with regards to aftermarket wheels, proper fitment and choices we have. There are alternatives to Volk, SSR and HRE. I have more than 50 downloaded jpegs of S2000's with cast wheels to prove it.
http://www.venommotorsports.com/howto/whee...eldiameters.htm

Quick Reply: Pick my new wheels Poll