Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my wheels- need opinions! (pics inside)

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting my wheels- need opinions! (pics inside)

So just bought my first s2k last week and have decided to paint the oem 16" rims. Just not sure what color to paint them. At first I thought black for sure but now im thinking a gunmetal look might be a better choice. I'm starting to feel like all black wheels cheapens the look of the car but then again I've seen some badass looking s2k's on here with blacked out stock rims which makes me want to go black lol. So im a little torn and also starting to think that just leaving them silver isn't that bad an idea...so I'm obviously in need of some opinions here haha.

Anyway here are a couple photoshopped pics of my car with different color rims. Please feel free to throw me any feedback you have!

Original

Black

Gunmetal (couldnt get rid of that slight green hue to the rim color, but should give you a good idea)

I should probably also mention that I will be spray painting these since i can not afford to powder coat at the moment.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Your stock wheels look pretty clean. I'd keep em the way they are, I *love* the look of machined aluminum. Only reason to paint them is if they are dinged up or you start to get corrosion under the clearcoat (like mine have from being my Winter snow/salt wheels).

Honestly, to me the top pic looks the best by far!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Gun metal for sure! But paint them calipers red.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Jul 8 2009, 07:45 PM
Your stock wheels look pretty clean. I'd keep em the way they are, I *love* the look of machined aluminum. Only reason to paint them is if they are dinged up or you start to get corrosion under the clearcoat (like mine have from being my Winter snow/salt wheels).

Honestly, to me the top pic looks the best by far!
I would keep the silver on black.. Car looks really clean...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you gonna drop it? I have this weird hang up, stock height = stock wheels. Anytime I see modded wheels, including painting, I think it should be dropped, even just 1", otherwise it looks strange to me.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Leave the wheels stock. I agree that with any non-stock wheels (including painted stocks) lowering the car should be the first on your list.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mister x,Jul 8 2009, 11:25 PM
Are you gonna drop it? I have this weird hang up, stock height = stock wheels. Anytime I see modded wheels, including painting, I think it should be dropped, even just 1", otherwise it looks strange to me.
I want to drop it so bad, but its just so expensive to do so probably wont happen for a while unfortunately

Thanks for your input guys keep them coming because I still have yet to make up my mind! haha
Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Paint the wheels black,but gloss black...I'm not a fan of flat black.....and make sure to leave the center cap unpainted..............
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM

What do you guys think about the color on the Acura TL Type-S rims?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Ummmm. You drive, what I would like to believe is, a relatively expensive vehicle. Possibly, if not actually in fact, the most expensive automobile that Honda offers in the United States; with that said, please do not spray paint your rims. Just follow this philosophy, "Do it right the first time, no matter how long you have to wait for the parts you want."

I completely feel your urge to change the color of your rims, I myself had to struggle with the idea of keeping my rims stock til I have enough money to get the volk RE30's, or just get them coated bronze. I fell back on my philosophy and am still saving for the RE30's.

Just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: Painting my wheels- need opinions! (pics inside)