Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint on Top of Plasti Dip

Old 08-22-2012 | 04:05 PM

Default Paint on Top of Plasti Dip

I have a Suzuka blue, and like the way they look with gold wheels. I don't think I would want them permanently gold however, because I could grow tired of it pretty quickly.

So I was thinking I could lay down a few coats of plasti-dip, and then put a bunch of coats of gold spray paint on top of that. Do y'all think that would flake off within a day or potentially damage something? Would it be easy to remove like plasti dip is known for?
Old 08-22-2012 | 05:12 PM

hmmmm...
Old 08-22-2012 | 09:32 PM

If you are going to do it you should use duplicolor bronze wheel paint.
But as far as painting on plastidip I can't comment. I have heard several people on several forums ask the same question but I have never heard of anyone actually doing it.
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:21 PM

I've used Plasti-dip as a sealer on foam and rubber, and painted over that - Worked excellent, no flaking whatsoever. I did use an adhesion promoter over the Plasti-dip as a "primer." I can't say how well it would work on alloys though, and under different temperature and elemental conditions. Plasti-dip can accept paint though with good results under certain conditions. Maybe experiment on some scrap metal or something?
Old 08-23-2012 | 03:31 AM

Thanks so much for the replies.

I actually came to the same idea that spindash did. I guess I should just go for it also. Wheels have much higher temperatures to endure than other parts of the car. I get my new wheels on friday, so I'll post pictures when I get around to doing it.
Old 08-23-2012 | 06:38 AM

Awesome

This is the stuff I used:

Adhesion Promoter

Looking forward to the pics!
Old 08-23-2012 | 07:09 AM

why not use gold plasti dip?
Old 08-23-2012 | 08:03 AM

I tried doing this on an aluminum baseball bat as a test. I also put clearcoat over the paint. I imagine it was the clearcoat, but it is very difficult to remove and only comes off in small chips (like paint). I don't think I could remove it without scratching the metal on the baseball bat. I don't know how it would behave without the clear. Plastidip itself is very easy to remove, so I would go with Topplayer's suggestion of using custom gold plastidip.
Old 08-23-2012 | 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
I tried doing this on an aluminum baseball bat as a test. I also put clearcoat over the paint. I imagine it was the clearcoat, but it is very difficult to remove and only comes off in small chips (like paint). I don't think I could remove it without scratching the metal on the baseball bat. I don't know how it would behave without the clear. Plastidip itself is very easy to remove, so I would go with Topplayer's suggestion of using custom gold plastidip.

^^ This is a good point. In my experience, if you do go the paint route, it has to be a plastic specific paint that will flex with the plasti-dip. Normal paint or clear coat will harden the whole base. If gold plasti-dip is available, that would be ideal, if not, I would definitely try the combo on a piece of metal that does not matter, just for removal purposes. Lots of coats of dip, adhesive promoter, then plastic paint.
Old 08-26-2012 | 08:14 PM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

Another thi to remeber is the wheels can get pretty hot from the brakes and everything. I have no idea how paint would hold up on plastidip. I would see if you can order some gold plastidip and just do that.

Quick Reply: Paint on Top of Plasti Dip