Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob here, stretched tire?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just a thought, why not run oem re050 tires in stock sizes. the stock tires on stock ap2 wheels seem to have a little "stretch" as the re050s are smaller than their listed sizes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
hey guys im a noob here, atleast to the tire department, my question for you, and im not looking to be flamed, just wanted to know is, can you stretch the tire on a stock ap2v1 rim? i know stock sizes are 245/45/17 and 225/45/17, but can i fit a 215/45/17 on the rear and a 205/45/17 on the front?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Stock front is actually 215/45 btw.

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
You want stretched tires?

Buy a Civic.

This hellaflush, stretched tires, ruining of S2000s needs to DIE.
Will +rep this when I re-up.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand how this

looks good...

its your car and im glad youre going back to oem set up.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by Dingo' timestamp='1319641760' post='21102568
hey guys im a noob here, atleast to the tire department, my question for you, and im not looking to be flamed, just wanted to know is, can you stretch the tire on a stock ap2v1 rim? i know stock sizes are 245/45/17 and 225/45/17, but can i fit a 215/45/17 on the rear and a 205/45/17 on the front?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Stock front is actually 215/45 btw.

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
You want stretched tires?

Buy a Civic.

This hellaflush, stretched tires, ruining of S2000s needs to DIE.
Will +rep this when I re-up.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
i dont understand how this

looks good...

its your car and im glad youre going back to oem set up.
I'll allow that looks are subjective. But it's down right stupid to do it because it's a safety hazard. Was the tire designed to do that? Nope. Think safety is compromised? Yup.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'll allow that looks are subjective. But it's down right stupid to do it because it's a safety hazard. Was the tire designed to do that? Nope. Think safety is compromised? Yup.
no

this "look" was created by professional drifters to reduce sidewall flex and maximize grip two things that improve there safety. That little kids want to bite this "look" is normal.

Ive talked to some tire engineers and most are unconcerned simply stating that you reduce ride quality and can if you have improper suspension settings run out of grip in a corner very quickly.

I like my sidewalls so much that I bought 16 inch rpf1's for my s but I do understand the reason for this.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM

How does reducing your potential contact patch maximizing grip???
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

From: The Ultimate guide to Suspension and Handling Part 1, Wheels and Tires

'For all of our poking fun of Hella Flush, and overstreching tires on too wide wheels, stretching tires can improve response by making it harder to get sidewall flex under cornering load. Here the Cyber EVO, one of the fastest time attack cars ever built shows its stretched tires. For road racing we feel that this is not advisable due to the sensitivity to impact damage and de-beading if things are not exactly right but the Cyber EVO shows that this technique can work well. It is a trick that some autocrossers swear by as they need fast response.

Putting the tires on a wheel of the recommended width for the tire is important as well. Putting a wide tire on a narrow stock rim will cause the tread to tend to lift on the edges under side load. If you can’t get the exact wheel width recommended by the tire manufacture for your size of tire, then always err to the wider side if you have the choice. A tire that is slightly stretched on a wide wheel will be more responsive and flex less under side load than one whose sidewalls are bubbled due to too narrow of a rim. Some autocrossers looking for the maximum responsiveness out of their tires will stretch a tire on a rim as much as two inches too wide. When doing this, the rim and tire are more prone to damage and debeading under impact so this is not advisable for street use or road racing where you sometimes put wheels off the track or hit FIA curbs.'
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically you're not gaining grip, you're gaining responsiveness. Makes sense.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by TTMartin
From: The Ultimate guide to Suspension and Handling Part 1, Wheels and Tires

'For all of our poking fun of Hella Flush, and overstreching tires on too wide wheels, stretching tires can improve response by making it harder to get sidewall flex under cornering load. Here the Cyber EVO, one of the fastest time attack cars ever built shows its stretched tires. For road racing we feel that this is not advisable due to the sensitivity to impact damage and de-beading if things are not exactly right but the Cyber EVO shows that this technique can work well. It is a trick that some autocrossers swear by as they need fast response.

Putting the tires on a wheel of the recommended width for the tire is important as well. Putting a wide tire on a narrow stock rim will cause the tread to tend to lift on the edges under side load. If you can’t get the exact wheel width recommended by the tire manufacture for your size of tire, then always err to the wider side if you have the choice. A tire that is slightly stretched on a wide wheel will be more responsive and flex less under side load than one whose sidewalls are bubbled due to too narrow of a rim. Some autocrossers looking for the maximum responsiveness out of their tires will stretch a tire on a rim as much as two inches too wide. When doing this, the rim and tire are more prone to damage and debeading under impact so this is not advisable for street use or road racing where you sometimes put wheels off the track or hit FIA curbs.'
That's mild if anything...and from the looks of it, within spec. Nothing like the above pic (of the blue car).

Quick Reply: noob here, stretched tire?