Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheels for my S2k

Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels for my S2k

Hey everyone!

I understand if some people might get upset about another one of those wheel topics, but frankly im lost. I've read just about every wheel fitment guide and so forth that i can find, and im still having trouble finding good 18" wheels for my S2k.

I was hoping anyone could point me in the right direction regarding this and IF i buy new 18" wheels do i need to buy coilovers aswell to match the new "height" of the car? I dont want to go to low because where i live the roads arent super flat (i live in SWEDEN) ,however i would like to go a tad bit lower than what the car looks like stock.

To make a possibly long story short i badly need your advice on finding good 18" wheels (manufacturers,suppliers etc) for my S2k and IF coilovers is a must or can i get away with just different springs? This is for "daily" driving i do not intend to take my car to the track. Im very new to all this business but im eager to learn, so fire away !

/Djyret
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 PM

You do not need coilovers to put 18inch wheels on your car.

You need to find a style wheel you like and then check the sizes out they come in to see if they meet s2000 fitment.

You need 18' 5x114.3 Rims

Since you do not plan on lowering your car you can get away with just about any offset ranging between +15 - +60

Width is your choice..

Theres 100s of manufactures of wheels out there, If you cant find a manufacture than you shouldnt even bother buying wheels
Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

^Wow +15? You are out of your mind. That advise is completely untrue as the wheel can stil1 contact the fender with stock suspension not to mention with that low of an offset the wheels will stick out and look terrible. Please don't make suggestions that are completely wrong. All it does is confuse people on a topic that already confuses many.

Width plays a huge part in how wheels fit. A 18x11 +50 and a 18x8 +40 fit completely different.Use the wheel sticky with the understanding that it is very conservative.

If you want to lower the car a little I still suggest coilover since you can adjust them to exactly where you want them to sit. Springs will be at one height and that's it.

For wheel suggestions we need more info. Do you have a price range you want to stay in? Are you willing to roll the fenders are relocate the bumper tabs? What will you be using these for? Just normal driving? Track days? Is weight important? Is there a general style you like?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As mentioned, take a look at the wheel fitment sticky at the top of the forum. It will give you a general idea of the offsets you need to be looking at if you don't want to do any fender work.

Lowering springs would probably be fine for your goals. Eibach is a reputable brand that offers a subtle drop, about 1" with prokit, and should ride similar to stock. For coilovers, I'd look at Bilstein PSS for a affordable solution that has quality dampers and comfortable ride.

It is very hard to find cheap off the shelf wheels available in S2000 fitment. Used wheels might be an option, I'd look for fitments like this: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...ips-for-s2000/
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Yeah i'll take another look at the sticky guide however when i visit certain websites that lets me know what kinda rims that would fit on my s2k the measurements are wrong(the rim wont fit on my car) according to the wheel fitment sticky guide. I'm not sure if i should go with coilovers or springs, since i want the car to look abit like Stock, just a tad lower so it doesnt feel to "high". The goal is daily driving, not going to use the car for track/racing purposes.

I'm planning to spend around 2800-3000 bucks, that includes rims and tires. I've heard you get a more accurate/better result using Coils over springs etc, but it would be great if someone could clarify that. I am also not sure how much i should spend on those if people at this lovely forum tells me coils is the way to go!

Thanks for your answers sofar!

/Djyret
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

Coilovers you can adjust the height on to exactly where you want it as I said. So it allows for fine tuning of you ride height. Something like the PSS9 or KW v2's will provide a near stock ride with the ability to lower. Prices for these are $1000-1500 but the sky is the limit if you want to go crazy with it.

That is a healthy budget for wheels so you should be able to find a good amount of wheels. You didn't say if you are willing to roll the fenders however which makes a big difference in what you can fit.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

The eibach pro kit that was suggested for the -1 lowering is a solid option to remove some wheel gap and will actually improve some of the transitional handling of the car, they are about 20% stiffer so a nice little improvement wile not being overly taxing on the factory dampers. If all you do is drive on the street and don’t care about maximizing performance then this is a viable and affordable ($200) option to get the car to sit a little lower. No sense in spending $1500 on coilovers for looks if you’re never going to get to appreciate the ride they offer in your driving habits, and frankly id pick a lowering spring on stock dampers for ride quality over some budget coilovers in the $700-$800 range.

Wheels are tough, but yes the wheel fitment sticky will give you a general starting place. Once you find a couple wheels/sizes you like then post them up and we can tell you if your crazy or in the realm and make some suggestions from there.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 AM

thanks for the answers guys !

I want to keep the car as "stock" as possible, without having to roll fenders and so on (if i can get away with it) As i said earlier i only drive the car around 6 months/year and then it sits in the garage during the winter, so during those 6 months its basicly my "daily" driver car and ofc i use it for spirited driving from time to time aswell.

Eibach pro kit seems like a very solid option, but ive heard the springrates etc suits an AP1 version more ? (i have a 05 s2k) Another solid option from what i've read is the Swift Spec R kit. Basicly what ive found out is that either one of those two are very good options for my goals.
Daily driver during the spring/summer months, lessen the wheelgap abit and perhaps increasing some of the handling in the process while otherwise keeping the "stock" feeling of the car as much as possible.(dont want to lose ALL the comfort while cruising around having to go over bumps at 2 mph etc)

Here is a list of rims that i've been interested in sofar that i could potentially see myself buying that has the "correct look" for me (Have not checked prices yet)

- 5-Zigen Proracer GN+
- Burning Black VS KF
- Volk LE37
- Advans (racing)
- RAYS G-games 77W Vaio

/Djyret
Old 04-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to roll the fenders and lower while running 18's you are going to be pretty limited. Since you are just looking for street use I'd try and stick with a safer fitment to minimize the chance of fender damage, a good fitment is 7.5 +50 front and 9 +63 rear. You have some room to work with those widths and offsets.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

A quick browse through Tirerack shows the OZ Allegrita as the only viable 18" option. They are discontinued but keep an eye out for SSR Competition or Type-C. They are a six spoke wheel, way lighter than those 5zigen and IMO better looking and cheaper than TE37 (non-concave version).

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...#entry22727202

Are you currently on stock wheels? If so, 16" or 17"?

Quick Reply: New wheels for my S2k