Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires; extra pusing during steering normal?

Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires; extra pusing during steering normal?

I bought my MY02 in May of 2004 with 18k miles on it. A year later I needed tires to pass the inspection. I bought Dunlop SP9000 for the rear and kept the fronts. These tires are 245/45 and really stick on normal speed turns, but at higher speeds I feel a bit unstable. If I accelerate at high speeds I have to turn the wheel more to keep a constant turn, but if I have to let off the gas I am now steering too strongly and have to correct quickly. The whole system (me included) causes a slight swaying motion which I've learned in the last month how to handle. But I don't like it.

If I could sum it up differently it is as if the rear wheels are forcing or pushing me straighter than I want during acceleration. Consequently, I correct by steering further--too far though for coasting.

Do I need new front tires? Do I need a different rear wheel alignment? Is this also called torque steering? Any other thoughts?

Cheers
Old 06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm, sounds like your best off to take a performance driving school to understand the dynamics of driving a car like this. By what it sounds like this is all normal behavior of the S2000. Oh and while your in a high speed turn please dont lift off the gas like you described. You will oversteer (rear end will kick out) and have a nasty spin like many in the past. Look into a driving school, believe me its the best thing you can do.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:22 PM

If you have a MY02' why didn't you replace the rears with s0-2's? this is the best tire for your car. and 18k on a set of fronts is a lot of miles, I would think. they may still have tread left, but as tires age they may get harder and have less grip. if you gonna run dunlops on the back then you might use the same tire and model on the fronts. and Im pretty sure dunlops SP9000 dont have the same grip as the bridgstones S0-2's. especially for rears. Do be careful with this tire setup. as I watched a friend spin his S2k out. with some less then good rubber on the rears. go slow.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest to match your tires and get a set of the SP9000 for the front. While they are not as good in the dry as the S02 they are a lot better in the wet and they should last longer. You are always going to have better handling when all four tires match. That way the car handles the same front and rear in every condition. With the set up you have now the SP9000 I am sure is much better in the wet and would push real bad in those situations.
If I can help let me know.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. My SO2's must have been really worn since this setup doesn't slip at all compared to the old ones. Regardless, I probably need to replace the fronts just to be safe.

I'll check out your site, Jim, and let you know if I need something. Thanks.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 AM

Update:

Yesterday, I finally purchased new matching front tires. Ordered them from TireRack (Jim you should get the credit) and they arrived yesterday. Put them on and the problem is gone. Stearing is consistent and even.

Also, these SP9000's are much more sticky than the SO2's that I had. But they are also squeeky. I like the handling now, and all is resolved.

Cheers