Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some tire advice

Old 04-18-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some tire advice

So:

my MY'02 has 12K miles, and the insides of the fronts are getting quite worn. The rears are ok. All original rubber. I figure I will need new tires soon. I love the OEM equipment, but would like to get more miles out of the tires, even if I have to sacrifice performance a little. Someone suggested 03's. Am I likely to get significantly more mileage out of them (like twice?). I mostly commute, with some occasional spirited driving on weekends. Will the size with these be the same as with O2'S?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't get double the tread life out of any tire on this car. The S03 should last longer given the same driving characteristics but I would doubt more than 15 to 20%. If you go to the S03 I would recommend the 205/55R16 front and 245/45R16 rear.
The longest tread life tire I would have would be the Dunlop SP5000 and they are an all season tire. You would loose quite a bit of the performance though.
If I can help let me know.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 04-19-2003, 07:43 AM

Jim:

thanks for the response. Besides the longevity of S02's, they obviously don't handle well in the rain. Would S03's handle better under wet conditions?
Old 04-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by avs2k
[B]Besides the longevity of S02's, they obviously don't handle well in the rain.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by boiler

That's odd, my OEM S02's worked very well in the wet until right before they wore out (hydroplaning).
I just mean that the car feels extremely squirrelly in the wet. The rears spin out. I am very careful driving on mountain roads early in the morning, as the rear end seems to want to come around in damp corners. This never happens on dry pavement, only in the wet. I'm not sure if this is the tires or the way the car is set up, but I spun out a couple of times in the wet, and am much more careful now. As I say, on dry pavement I never have this issue - the grip seems limitless (at least as compared to my own limits). Since I never experienced any other tire on this car, I was asking if the s03's would do better in the wet.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:57 PM

Avs2k, Have you had any other tires on your car? My OEM tires didn't do anything like what you're describing. The amount of grip they had in the rain was incredible. The only problem was the way they made the grooves in the tire. I was discarding the tires (rear) before they got to the wear bars, because they were prone to hydroplaning, due to the grooves becoming smaller.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Avs2k, Have you had any other tires on your car? My OEM tires didn't do anything like what you're describing. The amount of grip they had in the rain was incredible. The only problem was the way they made the grooves in the tire. I was discarding the tires (rear) before they got to the wear bars, because they were prone to hydroplaning, due to the grooves becoming smaller.
I only have 12K on my car, so I'm still on the rubber that came with the car. I just assumed this behavior is normal, given that this is not an all weather tire, etc. Now that you mention, boiler, that your experience was not like this, I wonder if other people on the board have experience similar to mine?
Old 04-19-2003, 08:04 PM

[B]

I only have 12K on my car, so I'm still on the rubber that came with the car.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:08 PM

I think that it's starting to make sense to me. I was changing mine at around 12,000 miles. It just sounds like the rear tires are worn out, even though you will see tread just above the wear bars, most likely. Was your car always handling like this when it was wet outside, even when the tires weren't worn out?

Normal to me would be great traction in the wet or dry from new to around 12,000 miles. Once you wear the rear tires almost to the wear bars, the traction in the wet will be gone and it's time to replace the rear tires. It's always a good idea to keep the front and rear tires the same brand and model. Otherwise, you may have a real handful when it rains. Different tires will always have different levels of traction and mixing them is asking for trouble.

Does this make any more sense to you?

Bob
Bob:

the description does make sense to me, but the behavior i am describing is not new. it has always made me scared in the rain. sounds like your experience is very different, huh?

av
Old 04-19-2003, 08:24 PM

[B]

Bob:

Quick Reply: Need some tire advice