Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Wheel (almost) Fell off while driving

Old 03-30-2002, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but there is a new movie with samuel jackson and ben affleck coming out where the preview (tv commercials) show that one person has taken all of the lugs off the other guy's wheel. Just seems odd to me that right after that comes out it happens to someone. Was the last lug a locking one? Anyway, just a thought. Hope it all works out.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could've been that someone was in the process of stealing your rims and was interrupted. . . or that you have a very sick enemy.

Check the other bolts on the other rims. If any of 'em are loose, it was probably an installation problem. If not, foul play seems the most likely.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:00 PM

Many tire shops don't hand torque the lug nut's 80 ft -lbs is recommended. Also make sure there's no rust around the hub area, if there is, scrub the hub. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:14 PM

I would say what that someone tried to steal the rims also.

Did you have wheel locks?
Old 04-01-2002, 05:17 AM

the last lug that was left on was not the wheel lock but a regular lug. but the other four lugs that came off; broke off. i found two of them where it happened (one of them being the lock lug. But the other two could be stolen, or maybe i just couldnt find them.

oh well. at least I found a used rim. Larry from Body werks is going to sell me his used front. so now its as good as new. well...almost, i guess i have to get over the emotional damage now....
ok im over it!

thanks for the advise...i think im going to watch the affleck/jackson movie. for some ideas on revenge....just kidding...im no that malicious
James
Old 04-01-2002, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awhile back I saw a car with two broken front lug studs. He said he just had new tires put on and the tire place inadvertantly put the front tires on the rear wheels and vice versa. Then proceeded to over torque the lugs. The end result were two broken studs but the wheel was still on the car and intact. Possibly the tire place over torqued your lugs and/or put the wrong tires on the wrong rims...
Old 04-04-2003, 05:42 AM

This is really scary!

Pretty much the same thing nearly happened to me last night. I was stuck in traffic on the freeway, going about 5 mph with the top down and I heard this voice way above me to the right and little behind. I craned my neck and this semi driver was talking to me. He said that my right front wheel was wobbling and that I should get it checked. I got off at the next exit, which just happened to be near my dealer and asked them to take a look. It took a while, but they came back and this was their explanation. Three lugs were broken on that hub. It took them a bit to figure out why, but here's the explanation. I had replaced my original tires at about 18,000 miles, more than a year earlier. The right tires were in the right places (big rear), but on the right side, the front wheel was on the back and the back wheel was on the front! The front wheel can sort of fit on the back ok, but the rear wheel does not actually even fit on the front hub. It fit well enough to attach it and to tighten the nuts, but there was enough play that, over 10,000 miles, 3 lugs broke (one had broken a long time ago as it was rusted). Net result is that the rear wheel (the one mounted in front) has damage and needs to be replaced. I will be going back to the folks who put the new tires on and try to get them to pay for the wheel (the tires were purchased from Tire Rack, and I have nothing but good things to say about them, but were installed by one of their local cooperating installers). Strangely enough, I never noticed anything odd in the steering and neither did the mechanic when he test drove it before putting it up on the rack.