Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 215/45/17 "National Backorder"?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport 215/45/17 "National Backorder"?

Hello everyone, just wondering if any other members have had the same issue I'm running into. I tried ordering a set of Michelin PSS from Discount Tire and was notified of a "national backorder" for the 215/45/17 sizing, with "no listed ETA from Michelin". I cancelled my order with Discount Tire and placed an order with Tire Rack. I saw that the 215s are not in stock with Tire Rack as well, with an "estimated" 5/16 delivery date.

Is Michelin discontinuing their 215/45/17 PSS size? Was wondering if I should keep hunting for this size. I know there are some tire dealers that have this size in stock, but I'd like to take advantage of Tire Rack's rebate when purchasing a set of four, and I'd also like peace of mind if and when I have a puncture down the road. No sense buying these PSS in 215 only to realize I've purchased the last of the production run and can't have them replaced in the event of a puncture.

If the PSS in 215/45/17 is indeed on it's way out, is there a comparable "daily driver/comfort-sport-minded" tire I should be looking at? I chose the PSS specifically for the softer sidewall since I won't be tracking my S2000 anytime soon.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an issue with ships from around the world being stuck in the port of long beach. Many container ships are currently docked off the harbor as dockworkers strike for better pay and stuff.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discount Tire and Belle Tire told me the same thing - with no estimated date of when they will again be available. I opted to try the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position - which my Discount Tire ordered in from a warehouse and should be installed Saturday.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamatlas
It's an issue with ships from around the world being stuck in the port of long beach. Many container ships are currently docked off the harbor as dockworkers strike for better pay and stuff.
a settlement was reached back in feb. to end the strikes, the backlog of containers still in the port may be to blame though... ?
one article said the backlog was so big at one point, if the containers were stacked one by one on top of each other it would have reached the moon and back. goodtimes.

i was looking at the pss for starspec replacements, oh well.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BazookaTooth
Originally Posted by iamatlas' timestamp='1429109797' post='23578618
a settlement was reached back in feb. to end the strikes, the backlog of containers still in the port may be to blame though... ?
one article said the backlog was so big at one point, if the containers were stacked one by one on top of each other it would have reached the moon and back. goodtimes.

i was looking at the pss for starspec replacements, oh well.

Thanks for the info guys! Well tire rack emailed me asking what they would like me to do about the order, I went ahead and said OK to waiting for the fronts to be back in stock, and was quoted a May 8 arrival date at the Tire Rack warehouse. Again, that's all estimated. I also asked the tire rack rep who emailed me a few questions and didn't receive any answers about what the delay was, if the estimate was trustworthy, etc.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Already received the rears today, anxiously awaiting the fronts!