Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Id look into the Continental DW... its a summer tire with about double the treadwear of OEM and they are EXTREMELY good in the rain, GrassRoots Motorsports did a test and they were actually faster in the rain than the Star specs or the majority of the star spec competitors. They are not as good in the dry as those tires but they are more than grippy enough to have some fun. These have been miracle tires for me in the rain, and even use them instead of my RS3's if there is going to be enough rain for standing water at an autox.

I have never tried the specific michelins you are referring to but I have never seen an all season tire that had nearly as much dry grip as a comparable summer tire, the difference between an All Season and a 300ish treadwear sumer tire (such as the DW) is closer to 20% than the 5% some are saying (and they are comparing a/s tires to the sub 200 TW summer tires such as star specs) the difference between the 300ish and sub 200 summer tires is closer to the 5% that others are saying

now it may be true that on most roads you cant even exceed the limits of a high end a/s tire without going too fast but consider this, when you are going as fast as you can safely on a public road, and a jogger, animal or something else gets in your way, would you rather be at 95% of an a/s tire's limit with only 5% left over to slow, or swerve w/o loosing control? or would you rather be at 75% of a 300ish TW summer tire and have 25% of the tire's grip left over to avoid the accident? Its not just about whether the tire has the grip for a winding road, but how much safety envelope are you comfortable with.

Disclaimer: this is all my opinion, it is based on my experiences both on the street and autox in my and other people's cars on multiple types of tires. I have been an instructor at a good amount of autox events and gotten to test out a lot of different cars on different tires and have built my opinions based on that. But I am not a tire expert, I am just an enthusiast who has a little experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Hi, everyone! I don't check this site often, but I was curious about any feedback on this specific tire.
2. I've had my 04 S for 2 yrs; I bought it with only 8745 miles on it for $18,455.
3. I got 17k on the original back tires, and I wanted to replace the fronts also b/c of age.
4. After researching tires, I settled on this tire b/c I wanted wear, and was willing to sacrifice grip since I use mine as a DD, and I have not 1 but 2 sets of winter tire/rims to use: Dunlops and Bridgestones.
5. I got some "abuse" on another site for buying such a "does nothing good" tire, but they are great for my driving habits, and I can't wait to see how much life I get out of the rears.
6. They are rated for 50k, only 25k for the rears, Discount Tire said since they aren't rotated; when they told me 50k when I bought them I knew they would find a way to justify the rears being less since we all know the rears get 1/2 the mileage.
7. I have about 13-14k on them now, and I only put 1k/mo. on the tires going back and forth to work, so I probably won't wear them out this summer; I'm hoping to get 25k out of the rears, which irritated some on my other site who love to brag about wearing them out in 10-12k miles, ha!
8. Keep posting about how many miles you get!