Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

I DD my S, so I am looking for tires that have good grip dry and wet and that last. My friend has the Michelins on his Corvette and he is very happy with them. The nice thing about them is that they have a wear rating of 500. I did a search on them, but did not see anything recent on here. I am looking to replace my rear OEM tires in the near future, probably going to step up to the 255/40ZR17 tire instead of the 245. Your thoughts?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

If you're getting all-seasons for wet grip, you're getting them for the wrong reason. All-seasons are compromise tires that sacrifice warm-weather dry *and* wet grip vs. the best Max Perf summer tires.

If you need a single set of tires for daily driving that will handle some snow/ice/cold, get all-seasons.

Also, you don't want to have lower-grip all-seasons in back with higher-grip summer tires in front. You want similar-performance tires front and back.

Regarding 245 to 255s in back, that's a relatively minor change, nothing to worry about there.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used them on my rsx, great tire all around.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Thanks,

I live in Middle GA, so I am not worried about cold and snow. I like the OEM tires but I would like something that lasts longer. Since it does rain here often I would like somthing that is good on wet roads (and I drive very conservatively when it rains, read too many stories of people crashing). I used to have a set of Dunlop tires on my toyota truck that were not good in the rain and would spin out easily at every light (that is what I am trying to avoid):-) My friend with the Vette said he was driving on the highway during a big rain storm and he liked how the tires handled the wet weather. Anyways.... Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Pilot AS on a BMW 5 Series and they are a very good handling tire in wet and dry. They are not going to be better than the summer performance tires in the wet but they are going to last longer. On my car I have two years of use on them and they still look like new.
If you are not an aggressive driver they would be fine. If I can help let me know.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 AM

these tires are the best all around tire that i have ever run. they amazing in the wet, and just don't hydroplane. in the dry they are not going to be as good as say star specs, but they are damn close. if you are driving so fast on the street that you need the extra 5% of grip that you would get out of a full summer tire, you are driving too fast.

and as you said, they have a 500 tread wear rating. IMO they are hands down the best handling tire with a tread wear rating that high. also there is a 45k mile warranty.

this is the tire that i would recommend to anyone living in a wet/dry climate.

they do ok in the snow, but if its anything that is going to stick for more than a day, you will want a tire that does better in the snow.

hope that helps. and yes i run these on all of my cars. well off track anyway.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes,I know ! Bringing an old topic up from the dead at 4 in the morning,lol. I have these michelins on my car and they have been running great so far. Slightly more comfortable ride than the F1's they had. Anyone else have these on long enough to know how the thread wear is???
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They have been on my BMW for 3 years and they still look great.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM

I agree, and sell tires for a living as well. The Pilot Sport AS is a great all around tire. I would wonder how long they would last on an S because of the aggressive factory alignment settings. They will last longer than most, but I doubt anywhere close to 45k. I was considering this tire myself but I am after a little more grip and better turn in.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 PM

I've gone with the Michelin AS Sport the last 2 times on my s2k and have gotten between 25k-30k before needing to replace.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus