Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long lasting 245/40-17 touring tire out there?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long lasting 245/40-17 touring tire out there?

OK, so I'm looking for some rear tires (touring/sport touring), size 245/40-17, that would last me a long time. My S2k is my DD and there might be some occasional spirited driving, but nothing crazy. I'll say over 80% of the time I drive it at speed limit.. very seldom. So what's the best/cheapest rear tires in that size, that would last me maybe 30k+ miles?

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Can you fly?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM

I got a set of higher treadwear tires on my AP1 once.

Big mistake.

This is a sports car, get sporty tires.
If you need a DD find a geo/chevy metro for under $3,000 and call it a day.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Anyone has tried the Michelin Primacy MXM4? Thoughts on this tire?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

You dont understand. this car NEEDS good tires or you will die
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

get some RE760 Sports (the UHP summer tires, not the all season tires with a similar name)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear end alignment will dictate how many miles you get out of the rear tires (which wear FAR faster than the ones in the front). Generally there is slight toe-in in the back in order to keep oversteer in check. One side effect of this toe-in is that it wears out the rear tires faster. Theoretically you could eliminate this toe the next time you get an alignment, but this can be dangerous. Combining zero toe with long wearing (lower grip) tires is going to make the rear end far more loose than it should be.

Everything is a compromise and in this case I say leave the alignment stock and get a mild performance tire. The Continental Extremecontact DW seems to be a mid-pack performance tire with good DD characteristics. It also seems to last longer than most other tires on the S as well. DO NOT get touring tires for this car. I would recommend at very least "ultra high performance" category tires with this car.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM

^ Yea, some mild performance or sport touring (I ride sport bikes, so I'm more familiar with those than car tires) tires would be OK for my needs. I just don't want to spend money on tires, at the same time I change the oil... you get my point.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2kMyth
You dont understand. this car NEEDS good tires or you will die
You're stressing too much buddy. Calm down.

It's the 21st Century, tires have come along way. Even sport touring tires nowadays, handle very well. Besides, as I already pointed out, it doesn't make sense for me to get ultra high performance tires, that I'm never really gonna use, but wear faster.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Look....dispite what others say you can run a all season on this car and live to tell about it.

Go check Tire Rack and look at the Goodyear Eagle GT tires. I've got about 15k on mine, and they look to easily get another 15k or more out of them. There are also not that expensive.

They do not have the ultimate dry grip of a dedicated summer tire, but they do have impressive wet traction. Unless you are really driving at racetrack speeds in the corners on public roads, you will not miss the extra traction a dedicated summer tire affords. I've had some spirited runs and not been disappointed.

One word of caution though, without knowing what tires your running up front now....I would not mix tire types. If you have a summer only tire on the front...I would not put any all season on the back. The other option is to replace all 4, as these are not expensive tires.

Quick Reply: Long lasting 245/40-17 touring tire out there?