Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a lil help with tires and rims

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a lil help with tires and rims

im looking to buy the enkei rpf1s but im kinda lost on how to pick out the right rim...i know i want them to be 17" and would like to run 275 40's on them but im not sure which offset rim to get...any suggestions?....in the sticky it say im suppose to get 17+60-64 for the rear??? i dont know much about the offset stuff ...also what do u guys think of the bfgoodrick g-force t/a kdw2 tires? are they any good?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

275 is alot of tire and I think at that size you would be getting a 275/35/17 to keep it the same height. Unless you are superchanged or turbo or something I think thats more tire than you really need plus you would need a fairly wide wheel like a 9.5 or 10 I think and in the front you may run into issues. Not to mention the cost of these tires is pretty high as well.

If you get 17x9's you can easily run 255/40/17's all the way around and if you get some good sticky tires like star specs or Rs3's you should have tons of grip.

Finally on the offset if you want them to fit without of body work the higher the better. I'd say anything over +45 and you should be good with just a good fender roll. Anything lower and you will likely have to try and flair the fenders or do other with to fit the wheels.

Hope that helps. Did you have a wheel width in mind?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM

I agree, 275 is a lot more than you need.. it also depends on your car's height as well. I don't see many s2ks with stock fenders fitting in 275s in the rear. If you wanna check this link this guy fit 285s on a 10.5" rim http://www.canibeat.com/2011/10/func...-fitted-s2000/ . But this guy got custom fender work done. It's possible to do it, I think you would need a x10" wheel for 275 not exactly sure.

Also what helped me learn is to just look at build threads or pics of other people's s2ks to get an idea of what fits. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
275 is alot of tire and I think at that size you would be getting a 275/35/17 to keep it the same height. Unless you are superchanged or turbo or something I think thats more tire than you really need plus you would need a fairly wide wheel like a 9.5 or 10 I think and in the front you may run into issues. Not to mention the cost of these tires is pretty high as well.

If you get 17x9's you can easily run 255/40/17's all the way around and if you get some good sticky tires like star specs or Rs3's you should have tons of grip.

Finally on the offset if you want them to fit without of body work the higher the better. I'd say anything over +45 and you should be good with just a good fender roll. Anything lower and you will likely have to try and flair the fenders or do other with to fit the wheels.

Hope that helps. Did you have a wheel width in mind?
i am turboed....im supose to be getting tuned within the next 2 weeks...i was thinking about buying the enkei rpf1 or the dr-31 17x9 or 17x10 and use 275 40 for the rear and 17x8 or 17x9 in the front and use 235 40 or 45..i already started pricing tires which is why i asked about the bf good rich tires tire rack has them for 183 a piece which isnt that bad...with my car the way it is now i have 2" between fender and tire on all 4 wheels and 5 and 3/4 from ground to the bottom of the car i have 235 40 17 on the car now with a 8" rim..i dont mind if i have to flare my fenders...does any1 know about the bf goodrich tires?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigL
I agree, 275 is a lot more than you need.. it also depends on your car's height as well. I don't see many s2ks with stock fenders fitting in 275s in the rear. If you wanna check this link this guy fit 285s on a 10.5" rim http://www.canibeat.com/2011/10/func...-fitted-s2000/ . But this guy got custom fender work done. It's possible to do it, I think you would need a x10" wheel for 275 not exactly sure.

Also what helped me learn is to just look at build threads or pics of other people's s2ks to get an idea of what fits. Good luck!
ive been looking at a few post and get confused when it comes to the number
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TA KDW are good tires, but for the money you should be able to get better as they are only rated as Ultra High Performance Summer. Max Performance will give you better grip while Extreme Performance will give you the most grip but with decreased tread life. For the money you should get the Dunlop Star Specs - better tire all around for only a little bit more than what you are looking at with the TA KDWs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
The TA KDW are good tires, but for the money you should be able to get better as they are only rated as Ultra High Performance Summer. Max Performance will give you better grip while Extreme Performance will give you the most grip but with decreased tread life. For the money you should get the Dunlop Star Specs - better tire all around for only a little bit more than what you are looking at with the TA KDWs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
donlops look good im kind set on the 275's i was reading the reviews on them no1 can really say anything bad about with either one of the tires except that they are loud which really wouldnt bother me at all unless i can hear it over my exhaust
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The star specs at 265 will give you more grip than the other tire at 275. Its a much higher performance level tire. Now if youre just going for looks than it doesnt matter.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, well first off there unfortunately are no 275/35/17, so you would need 275/40/17. This will be more than 1/2" taller diameter than stock, so it will throw off your speedo a bit, but people have run these. If you want to stay staggered, the easiest setup would be the Enkei PF01s in 17x8 +50 and 17x9 +60. If you are deadset on RPF1s, you will definitely have to do heavy fender rolling, because the 17x9 is a +45 offset. People roll their fenders just to fit a 255 tire. Since the 275/40/17 is both taller and wider, it will be a harder fit. You need to be careful rolling your rear fenders because if you do it too much the fender can buckle in on itself. I have seen pictures of it, and on my car, I can see where the quarter panel is deformed in shape if you look closely.

Personally I think the better idea is to get a better tire in a 255/40 size.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

It is going to be a hard fit no matter what, unless you plan on getting over fenders, then you'll have a better chance of fitting it

Quick Reply: a lil help with tires and rims