Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kumho 295-35-17

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
^ Any pics junky?
I'd love to whore out a couple, but I haven't been very good about keeping pics of my car for show. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the interest.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id love to see this
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Community Organizer

Here is a couple pics me and a buddy took today, was hard to get enough lighting to see the tires and I dont think they do the width of the tires much justice, but wanted to give it a try. Anyway here you go. 295/35/17 on custom widened 11.5" rpf1's

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I thought this should be a good tire combo. Did you also widen the rims to the outside or you just widen it to the inside and then add a spacer to give it more space in between the inner side of the rim and the shock? But judging the pics it looks that it's just about a +38 offset RPF1 so they must have widen it to the inside and then add a spacer? So a 6URL 17x10 +72 should be able to handle this tire but would require a good amount of camber and probably a slightly flared but definitely a shaved rear fenders?

Definitely a worth it upgrade ain't it?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by gotap1
Nice work. I thought this should be a good tire combo. Did you also widen the rims to the outside or you just widen it to the inside and then add a spacer to give it more space in between the inner side of the rim and the shock? But judging the pics it looks that it's just about a +38 offset RPF1 so they must have widen it to the inside and then add a spacer? So a 6URL 17x10 +72 should be able to handle this tire but would require a good amount of camber and probably a slightly flared but definitely a shaved rear fenders?

Thanks man. Lots of time crunching numbers and being on my back with this one. But yes absolutely a mod that delivers if you can execute it.

No spacer, just added 2" to the inside. Yes it started out as a +38/9.5". Actually had to bang the inner well a bit to give me a couple extra mm becuase the tire would hit a little bit under full compression, and though it wasn't completely necessary, I wanted the wheel/tire to be completely clear, so no rubbing at all. The tire/wheel does completely fill the fender opening. You can see there is about 1mm on the outside, and under full comp there is 1mm clearance on the inside. If I ran a rim any narrower then what I have, the tire would rub on the outside, and likely on the inside becuase the profile of the tire would not flow with the wheel path as it compresses.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by gotap1' timestamp='1323028542' post='21209561

Thanks man. Lots of time crunching numbers and being on my back with this one. But yes absolutely a mod that delivers if you can execute it.

No spacer, just added 2" to the inside. Yes it started out as a +38/9.5". Actually had to bang the inner well a bit to give me a couple extra mm becuase the tire would hit a little bit under full compression, and though it wasn't completely necessary, I wanted the wheel/tire to be completely clear, so no rubbing at all. The tire/wheel does completely fill the fender opening. You can see there is about 1mm on the outside, and under full comp there is 1mm clearance on the inside. If I ran a rim any narrower then what I have, the tire would rub on the outside, and likely on the inside becuase the profile of the tire would not flow with the wheel path as it compresses.
Just what I thought. But I knew it would take some imagination due to even with the stock AP1 16x7.5 +65 with 225/50/16 there's about 2" of space between the inner side of the tire and chassis wall. It's really surprising for me coz' from my experience before it would normally be the shocks (and would be quickly fixed by a coilover kit) that would be in the way but the S2000 is I guess a bit different. So you're right, there would only be around 12.5" wheel space technically and the only way around it would be to extend the fender out. I'm trying to figure if other configuration can be made. See with yours starting with a 17x9.5 +38 pushed the wheel out by about an inch but gained an inch due to the 9.5 width (as compared to the OEM 7.5 in AP1) but in AP2 would place it in the same spot. Now increasing the wheel with to 11" thereby occupying that 2" space inside.

How much wall banging :-) did you have to do? I wonder if gringing would be better? So reading carefully it seems that the only way fit this monster tire is with a 17x11 +38? Man that's an expensive move widening alone is about $250 a piece. But IMO worth it. Talking about exclusivity.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by gotap1
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1323051155' post='21210274
[quote name='gotap1' timestamp='1323028542' post='21209561']

How much wall banging :-) did you have to do? I wonder if gringing would be better? So reading carefully it seems that the only way fit this monster tire is with a 17x11 +38? Man that's an expensive move widening alone is about $250 a piece. But IMO worth it. Talking about exclusivity.
[/quote]

No, 11.5" rim is what I'm running. 11" might be possible but its going to square up the profile of the tire so your going to have to figure a different offset and camber to position the wheel in the fender well so it will clear. You dont have room for a spacer to fill in any slack, so you have to run as much as you can to the outside to give you want you need on the inside. So that means you have to start out with a semi aggressive offset to begin with, to give you the room to add enough on the inside of the wheel. I was lucky I started out with the wheel i did. Very little banging on the inside, maybe 2-3mm worth. Grinding may work on the shock housing but not the well, you need to clear both.

Weld Craft charged me $200 per wheel. Shipping was $75 each way. Yeah it was money and time well spent to me, for the performance and the wow factor I suppose. But no matter what, there was still a level of uncertainty and a gamble. Until I got the tire on the wheel and bolted up to the car I didn't know 100% what I would be facing. So thrilled when it came together as I was hoping, with hairs to spare
Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM

luckily not bringing this thread to far back from the dead but I have read that you can fit a 295/40/17, I would personally go with the 295/35/17 with the 6ulr 17x10 +52mm offset with fender flares for the rear and major fender rolling in the front.... that was my plan to go with and just doing a little more research on it now so if any input let me know. thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by gotap1' timestamp='1323028542' post='21209561

WOW! I'm going to look into this... Weld Craft you say?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Good info. This will probably be my next setup, though I might just go with a 285 instead.

Quick Reply: Kumho 295-35-17