Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues With My HRE's (Long)

Old 04-27-2002, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues With My HRE's (Long)

I decided to rotate my wheels today... should have been a quick 30 minute task at most. Instead, I now have 3 problems with my HRE's :

1st, what the hell is is doing this???? On the inside of both rear wheel lips, a strip of aluminum was shaved off, but still left attached to the wheel. If it was just on one wheel, I would have thought I hit a pothole just right to do it... but to have it on both wheels makes me think there is something else going on. There is a sharp corner on one of the rear suspension pieces that looks capable of doing this, but it doesn't look like the wheels could come in contact with it.
Right wheel:

Left Wheel:

2nd, what is causing these raised ridges on my tire? It's only happening on one of the rear tires, but doesn't seem to affect performance in anyway. The tire's a Pirelli P-Zero's, 285/30-18. (I DO NOT recommend these tires in case you're wondering).
Tire ridges:

3rd, since when does stainless steel rust like this? A few of bolts on each wheel (they're 3 piece wheels) are rusting like this. Why only a few on each wheel, and why are they rusting at all? Any suggestions on what I can do? Replace them with aluminum bolts, or perhaps powder coat them?
Rusty Bolts:

Thanks for reading this far... any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you raise these issues with HRE if you hadn't already.
Maybe that inner lip is rubbing against your suspension only at full compression?
Keep us posted with your findings. Very interesting.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:00 PM

1) How exactly did you rotate the wheels on an S2K?
2) Suggest you contact HRE immediately. Those wheels aren't cheap and I sure hope they can help you out.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wilken
[B]I decided to rotate my wheels today... should have been a quick 30 minute task at most.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:38 PM

Ask Ben from bulletproof about them and tell him about your problem maybe he can help you and/or help you get some new rims....have you seen the new HREs they came out with an R series.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:02 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You sure you got the "Left" & "Right" labeled correctly on those photos? If so, that happened while you were going backwards, does that help explain the mystery at all?
The two places where that part of the wheel come close to touching things are; the coil spring as the shock extends, or the boxed out area around the shock on the inside wall of the fender as the suspension is compressed. I would think whatever part served as the cutting tool would show signs of evidence
Old 04-28-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since our setup is staggered and tires are uni-directional. There is one way to "rotate" them. You basically have to switch the tires left and right. That's what I did on my OEM front tires. Since the inner was wearing out, I basically had them swapped (removing tires and re-mounting them on the other side).

Regarding your shaving aluminum piece from your inner wheel, I'm thinking maybe that actually happened when they mounted your tires? Possibly the wheel or that arm from the machine rubbed your wheel the wrong way? And it was always like that from day one?
Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:22 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socal28
[B]...................
Regarding your shaving aluminum piece from your inner wheel, I'm thinking maybe that actually happened when they mounted your tires?
Old 04-28-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]
I don't know, the shave action is definitely a left & right, the machine would have fu<ked both of them up in the same direction
Old 04-29-2002, 06:55 AM

Why dont you like the Pzero's?

Quick Reply: Issues With My HRE's (Long)