Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was I too slow to buy winter tires?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was I too slow to buy winter tires?

Well, I have been trying to decide whether I will ever drive my new S on anything other than warm sunny days this winter. I have not finished considering what I want to do, but today I noticed that M3s are no longer listed when you follow the "are you ready?" link to Tire Rack. Have I missed them for the year, at least through Tire Rack?

If so, what is my best choice? Poughkeepsie has strange winter weather where we may get rain, freezing rain, sleet, or snow for almost every storm because we are in a valley and the temperature always hovers around the freezing mark. We do get real snow occasionally as well as some days where it is dry but with temperatures in the teens or lower 20s. But mostly its slush and melting snow on the ground (and lots of salt and dirt).

For the last few years I drove a CRX on Goodyear Eagle GTs+4 and I was never satisfied with them. They always only barely made it up local hills if there was any slush at all, and I had some really scary moments when idiots in SUVs or trucks thought that they could follow me up those hills on my back bumper. At least the CRX was FWD. I can only imagine what my S will be like...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmpaul,Dec 1 2005, 10:20 AM
and the temperature always hovers around the freezing mark.
This single statement tells me you don't really need an aggressive snow tire. I think you'll get by with "performance" snow tires. Look at something like Blizzak LM-22s or any of the other more performance snows. I can think of Michelin Ice-X or Alpins.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 AM

I spoke with Justin at Tirerack last Saturday (he was very helpful by the way) and ordered the Black ASA AR1s with the Dunlap M3s. The front tires were out of stock when I placed the order but I believe the estimated ship date was Dec. 14. I was originally going to go with the Blizzak LM-22s, but was told they would not be able to get them for the rest of the season. Give tirerack a call, they are very polite and will help you make the proper choice. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 PM

OK, thanks! xviper, I love the picture of your car in the snow. I hope that never have to do that, but sometimes I come out of work and find a 'surprise'. Its supposed to snow a little tomorrow and after reading all of the horror threads about stock tires in the snow I suspect that my car will be staying in the garage just in case...

enzoangelo, thanks too. I bought tires for my CRV from Tirerack last year and was very satisfied with their service. I was hoping that Jim or someone would chime in and say "oops, our website is wrong" or suggest that I really want tire X anyway. But you are right to point out that I should just talk to them directly.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have M3's WS and it hasnt snowed yet but I like the feel in the dry.
They are actually better the Khumo ASX that was on when I bought the S2k.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have just got M3s and have to say I love them. Don't have anything to say about any other winter tires for the S2000. But the M3s are great.

No snow but a lot of rain and some bitter cold. Days like these I'd never have driven the S before. Now it's more than a joy (it's got extra power thanks to the cold boost). In the dry and the rain they stick like glue. IMO in the wet they are FAR above S02s and in the cold + dry they are far above S02s.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Now I KNOW that I waited too long. Looking at the Tire Rack link today, it no longer gives you -any- choices....
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Call up "Mister Tire" or some place like that. They can order them for you.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 PM

That is true, and there are also multiple local tire places that probably could come up with similar deals (although after my other experiences with them I would never let them anywhere NEAR my S!!! For example, "hey look, your CV joint boot has come apart and grease is everywhere!" on a car that had recently had a full dealer service and had dropped none on my driveway...). The thing about Tire Rack is that they have a good reputation, seem to understand S2000s (this forum!), and can provide a user-installable wheel/tire package that I see as valuable.

One reason that I had not already ordered a set was that I have not decided whether I really want to drive my S at all in winter weather. Its not just getting tires, its exposing it to the salt and dirt that they use like crazy here in the northeast if it even threatens to snow and risking it with all of the idiots who think that having 4-wheel drive means "hey! I can drive like its summer". So I am seriously considering leaving it in the garage and buying a (second - my wife drives the first) CRV. What a way to get DBW
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me and I can make some recommendations.

Quick Reply: Was I too slow to buy winter tires?