Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with stock wheels?? and Jim help with tire sizes please

Old 01-24-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with stock wheels?? and Jim help with tire sizes please

I am thinking of putting my rear wheels on the front for a wider front wheel and sending the fronts to be widened to 9.5". (this is in the effort to save money by only having to send in one pair of wheels to be widened)
Questions:
1. Will the rear wheels work on the front?? I mean will the offset be alright and if not how do I correct it?
2. If the rear 16 in now 9.5" wide, what would the offset need to be?
3. What is the largest possible tire width I could now put on the rears? and with that size, what would I have to put on the front, would the original rear tire size be alright??
4. Jim...could you tell me what tires you would suggest, more importantly....do they have a street tire available in sizes like that? (i'm assuming somewhere around a 16" 285 to 295)

Thanks a lot guys

James
Old 01-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yjr problem is in 16" there really isn't anything larger than a 245/45R16 tire to work on the car. I also would not take a wheel that has to be cut in half, a new piece welded in and put back together. I would not trust anything like this. I also believe that the offset will be so high at that point that it wouldn't work. They would hit on the inside.
It is not something I would do. You would still need to buy bigger tires and pay for mounting and the wheel to be stretched. I would think you could buy the ASA FR1 that is forged with wheels and tires for the same kind of money and the wheel is safe.

Jim
Old 01-29-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the fit of the hubs is slightly different front to rear. If you put the stock rear wheels on the front they will eventually wobble, crack, and possibly fail. See this thread for example https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ate%20forumid56

Some owners have taken their car to the dealer for the 7500 mile checkup, and the the tires were rotated by the dealers unwittingly. (After all, it's one of the items on the Civic checklist, so it must be good for the S2000.) The owners didn't catch this and ended up with wheel wobbles due to the incorrect fit.

This kinda of confused me because the owner's manual states that if you get a flat on the rear your supposed to move a front wheel to the rear and put the space saver spare on the front. Maybe the hub difference is not that big a deal if you only drive the car for a few miles until you get the flat fixed.