Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO

Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want something that's the same price but performs better (stiffer side wall), get the Bridgestone RE760's.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are great tires for DD. I feel that they provide great traction in the wet and good traction in the dry. They are also very quiet and absorb that high initial impact when going over rough roads, like expansion gaps. But they do this at the cost of responsiveness. Overall I'm very happy with them for DD tires.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM

I've been running them for a few sets, and for the price, they are fantastic DD tires.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 AM

I've had a set for a few years now, and its near end of life. [Initial impression here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/721...__p__20449380]

Final impressions of the tire

The side wall is just too soft, and everything that follows is due to this.

Road noise
Awesome for road noise, especially when you are coming from the OEM tire. The road noise stays the same as the tire ages.

Comfort
If your area has a number of pot holes then this is probably the best tire to get.

Grip
There's a lot of grip on these tires (my OEM tires were old when I brought the car, so its hard to compare against those).
However, I've read that these tires were suppose to be forgiving. To be more specific, when the back end comes out, it should be easy to correct.
I did not encounter this in our cars. I managed to save the car, but your reaction had to be fast. In short, its more forgiving than OEM but the 'forgiveness' factor drops as the tire ages.

There is plenty of dry/wet grip for street use (track will be covered later)

Feedback
Feedback is horrid, damn horrid. The steering feedback is next to none (worse than OEM). Our cars are not known for the steering feedback, these tires amplify the issue. I had to learn to be more sensitive to Chassis feedback. Feedback on these tires is like playing a 90s arcade driving game (none).

At the track
I took the car to two track days (one pouring rain, one dry) The car is damn right scary in the wet on these tires. In the pouring rain, I've never seen the car so tail happy. It was so bad, I left after an hour of lapping (it was a full day event). On the dry day, the grip was great but the soft-side wall hurts the fun factor. The soft-sidewall makes the car roll considerably whenever consecutive corners are encountered.

Am I getting another set?
The road noise is great and the comfort is great as well. However, the feedback & precision of the tire is just horrible. I'm going with the S-04 Pole Position based on
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...osition-page-9 The S-04 have the same tread-wear rating (280). They are pricier though.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the V12's as a daily get-around tire. They seem to do just fine for me for what I use them for. I keep my hooning on the autox course, where I have a different set of wheels with RS-3's (previously) and now Hoosiers. I don't expect tires that I paid piddles for to perform like a God. I expect them to be comfortable, quiet, and not try to kill me when it rains. The V12's do all of that pretty well. I would say that for the price I bought them at (on promo from TR which is happening again BTW) they are an excellent daily-purpose tire. Just don't go dicking around expecting RE050, RS-3, or Z-II performance out of them. I would never track my car on them, and I don't expect them to be anywhere near competitive at an autox. But for what they are, they are pretty exceptional.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM

I agree that they are a budget tire. good for daily use, dont expect tons of grip. i can easily get them loose with my stock engine ap1. (255/40/17) if i shift hard into second it will spin a bit and the back will slide out a touch sometimes. but for the price they are very good. i will most likely be going with RS3 next time for more grip.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That most be when super cold or something. My 255 V12's don't break loose in 2nd gear and I have over 400whp in my AP1.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM

yep should have said that in my post. street car so they are somewhat cold most of the time
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have V12s on the front only they seem like an OK tire for the price. They are noisy when sliding around though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by devildust
I have V12s on the front only they seem like an OK tire for the price. They are noisy when sliding around though.
LOL, they do love to give some audible feedback. The one or two times that I DID have them out on the autox course they squealed like a pig the whoooole time, lol.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus V12 EVO