Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Tires Worn Inside

Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Tires Worn Inside

Hello everyone. After doing some search, it appears that this is normal. I have a 06 with stock tires. I have about 22k on them right now. I lowered the car about a year ago with swift springs. I didn't do an alignment after. The rear tires are wearing even however the other day when I was doing an oil change, I notice the front were worn on the inside. Its not bad. Was wondering if I did an alignment, would it correct itself so that it will start to wear evenly?

I have new tires for the back, the RE-01 that will be installing soon. Should I wait to do the alignment then or should I do it now and try to save the front tires.

Also what do you recommend on replacing the front tires? I know the RE01 225/45/17 are sold out so should I get RE11 for the front and be okay? let me know your thoughts. Thank you
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM

I'm no expert and maybe they can chime in.

The wear on your tires will be affected by the alignment you get. For example, I have the UK alignment which will cause tire wear on the insides too. But your choice will be agressive alignment for better handling (or so you can fit those wide arse rims and tires on your lowered car) or an unaggressive alignment for not as good handling. I chose to sacrifice some tire for better handling. The choice is up to you.

As for not getting an alignment after lowering, that will run the risk of uneven tire wear. Meaning maybe one side wears faster than the other or funky steering, etc. You should've gotten an alignment after lowering so at least both sides wear evenly.

Finally, I would get an alignment done AFTER, you install the new tires. As for putting a RE01 in the back an something else up front, many have opinions that that is not a good idea. Maybe get 215 in the front, that's what i got. Jim from the tirerack said 215 and 255 is the closest to stock stagger.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

If you asking if the damage that has been done to your tires is going to satrt to wear evenly and correct itself soryy the damage is done. After an alignment the tire will start to wear evenly but the low spot you created on the inner side wall will still exist.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM

yeah thats what I figure. After lowering the car, the wear on the rear tires were even and steering were dead on so hence why I didn't do the alignment. Also the swift springs doesn't lower the car that much. At any rate, I'll see about getting some new tires for the front

I read that it should be 225/255 to be close to stock? from what Jim say in regard to RE01 and stock up front is that if you are pushing your car to the limit, it will understeer. I drive the S as a daily so I'm not pushing it to the limits.