Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitment help and questions

Old 07-04-2024, 07:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you guys think the CE28's 17x7.5 +48 will fit without fender mods AND also clear BBKs (TL type S OEM brembos) up front? I'm considering CE28's now since they're similar style and seems like the size/offset offered might be better for my requirements

Last edited by Streetfury; 07-04-2024 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfury
Do you guys think the CE28's 17x7.5 +48 will fit without fender mods AND also clear BBKs (TL type S OEM brembos) up front? I'm considering CE28's now since they're similar style and seems like the size/offset offered might be better for my requirements
No, not really. You still need to mod the fenders to be safe. You *might* be OK at stock height, but idk...

Give your front fenders a little feeler. Notice those big flappy tabs that are holding the fender liner up? Now you know why your stock wheels are so sunken in.

Also, why do you want the TLS Brembos? Just like the way they look? They will make fitment difficult because its not only a big caliper...but it sits closer to the hub than a kit whose rotors are a larger diameter. The TLS brakes aren't a BBK. They're just a 4 piston caliper which clamps a stock, or stock sized rotor.

Last edited by B serious; 07-08-2024 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Streetfury (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
No, not really. You still need to mod the fenders to be safe. You *might* be OK at stock height, but idk...

Give your front fenders a little feeler. Notice those big flappy tabs that are holding the fender liner up? Now you know why your stock wheels are so sunken in.

Also, why do you want the TLS Brembos? Just like the way they look? They will make fitment difficult because its not only a big caliper...but it sits closer to the hub than a kit whose rotors are a larger diameter. The TLS brakes aren't a BBK. They're just a 4 piston caliper which clamps a stock, or stock sized rotor.
Thanks for the insight. I'm starting to realize I should expect to mod the fenders if I want to fit any style wheels that I actually like....

I guess I'm biased towards the TL Type S brembos because it's also on my TL so to have them on both vehicles, same parts and maintenance, familiarity and also cost lol
Old 07-08-2024, 06:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Here's my car back when it had 17x7.5 +45's. Its a 225mm tire. My camber was -2.5 deg.

I could have easily bacon'd the fenders if I went up that incline with the wheels turned even a hair.

I would later go on to destroy my fenders using that exact wheel setup. I spun the car, tried to counter steer, and the tire turned my fender inside out by grabbing the fender liner tab.

The trick to avoid this is to cut off the 3 front-most fender tabs and pancake the fender lip flat, without changing its shape.

Now I'm on 17x9.5 +47 with 255mm tires all around. Zero rubbing. I carefully modded my (brand new) fenders and used SPC ball joints to set the wheel/tire relative to the fender. My camber angle is -2.7 deg.
This is my spring thru fall commuter car, so it gets driven more now than ever before. As long as I don't fully crank the wheel and go up a steep driveway like a buffoon...I'm good.

Even if I had a tiny bit of tire/fender contact, I took away or smoothed out any surface that the tire could use to grab onto and rip out the fender lip.

My lips are totally flattened and I've used seam sealer and polyurethane to seal everything into a completely smooth edge.

One thing....if you plan to use your car in the snow/salt, then absolutely do not mod your fenders.

Last edited by B serious; 07-08-2024 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B serious:
jamesyun (07-17-2024), Streetfury (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Here's my car back when it had 17x7.5 +45's. Its a 225mm tire. My camber was -2.5 deg.

I could have easily bacon'd the fenders if I went up that incline with the wheels turned even a hair.

I would later go on to destroy my fenders using that exact wheel setup. I spun the car, tried to counter steer, and the tire turned my fender inside out by grabbing the fender liner tab.

The trick to avoid this is to cut off the 3 front-most fender tabs and pancake the fender lip flat, without changing its shape.

Now I'm on 17x9.5 +47 with 255mm tires all around. Zero rubbing. I carefully modded my (brand new) fenders and used SPC ball joints to set the wheel/tire relative to the fender. My camber angle is -2.7 deg.
This is my spring thru fall commuter car, so it gets driven more now than ever before. As long as I don't fully crank the wheel and go up a steep driveway like a buffoon...I'm good.

Even if I had a tiny bit of tire/fender contact, I took away or smoothed out any surface that the tire could use to grab onto and rip out the fender lip.

My lips are totally flattened and I've used seam sealer and polyurethane to seal everything into a completely smooth edge.

One thing....if you plan to use your car in the snow/salt, then absolutely do not mod your fenders.
Going to save your reply for reference. Thanks for being super thorough. That's one of downsides of s2ks is their non accommodating fenders

Thank you, yeah looks like no avoiding haha. Fortunately and unfortunately I live in socal so no worries about snow here
The following users liked this post:
B serious (07-09-2024)