Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Indy 500 Wide Oval

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Firestone Indy 500 Wide Oval

I have the Firestone Indy 500's on the front wheels and they are basically brand new. The rear tires will need to be replaced soon (the rears have different tires than the front, forget what kind at the moment).

Anyone running the Indy 500s on all 4 wheels? Any reviews on them? Good? Bad? It's kind of hard to tell with only having them on the front, but I have no complaints so far.

I really don't want to have unmatched front/rear tires, but if the Firestone's are that bad I might have to consider going with something else.

Thanks for any help.

Also, link to tires in question: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=45WR6FHWI5.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since you have them in the front I would just get the matching rears.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:49 PM

That's probably what I will do, unless someone chimes in with a bad review of them.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while not the full ultra-high performance tire that our S requires IMO, it is a GREAT tire for the price. I work in the automotive industry and get to test most new performance tires as they come out. Like I said, not quite up to par with our car's performance but a great tire overall. The best feature about this tire is longetivity and most sizes come with a 30k warranty and a 300UTQG treadwear rating, that's hard to beat on a tire in that category. My s2k came with these in the rear when I purchased it and I wanted to replace them with PS2's ASAP. After driving it, however, they really grew on me. For me personally, I feel that they would lack a bit of traction in certain situations when mounted up front as you typically tend to give up some traction for the longetivity (harder compound).

It all depends on how your going to drive and what type of performance you demand from your S/tires. My S is stock except for an intake and I use it for regular city/highway driving 80% of the time. My wideovals are in the rear so as long as they maintain decent traction levels during MY spirited driving, I'm happy, and they do. For the front I feel that they would PROBABLY be a bit to hard as they are comparable to the Yok's I took off which would understeer constantly. So. . .

If you don't feel you'll push your car to a point where you might experience understeer that often and longetivity/price is a plus for you, you might be happy with the 500's on all fours.

However, if you can swing the $$ take those off and replace them with Pilot Super Sports or a "comparable" product. Sell the 500's or keep them for long, boring, straightaway trips.

I'm 22 and paying my college tuition ie looow disposable income and I thank myself every time for having saved for super sports all around!! I now know exactly what people mean when they say it handles like it's on "rails". It really does feel that way. It's been raining alot lately here in Colorado and I've been trying pretty hard to get understeer again with these Michelins and I have not yet been able to do that, the Firestones give up waaaaay earlier.

Hope this helps!!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wide ovals are awesome IMO very grippy when its dry, they are decent in the rain but not the best. They smoke very well when you want them to lol. the wide ovals are sort of like the old dayton ZR's they have like this top layer of very stick for like 10 laps but then you get to the next layer that isnt as grippy but still holds very well. the side walls are also pretty stiff so that helps out a little too. I would just keep them they are a pretty good bang for buck. i personally would have gotten falken tires but thats just my biased opinion
Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM

The above two responses are exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys

I am going to go with the Wide Ovals for my rears in a few weeks. The treads should not be far off, since the fronts are about 80-90% at the moment. I don't do any tracking (yet), and my spirited driving is probably a little less extreme than most peoples. I have my civic for rainy days and long trips. However, longevity is still a big concern of mine, and having the absolute best handling isn't a huge concern (I also have Buddy Club N+ so that helps). Lets be honest, a "good" handling s2000 is still far above what most cars are capable of. Sounds like these tires might be a good fit for my situation.