Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount Tire Wouldn't Repair my flat :(

Old 11-09-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire Wouldn't Repair my flat :(

So I got a flat tire on one of my original rear s02s with about 11,000 miles on the car. The car is used by the way, I got it with about 6k miles. So I take the flat to discount tire, and they will not repair the tire because there is another patch on the tire in a different spot that was not repaired by RMA standards. And since the company has so much integrity they won't fix it for liability reasons. So they don't have any bridgestones, but they offer to put a Kumho on for me to use until they get a new bridgestone in. So I have a couple of questions...

1)Is there a problem with having 1 new rear tire and 1 11k mile rear tire on the other side?

2)I still have the flat s02, so what is a sleazy tire repair place that doesn't follow RMA procedure?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waterbug
Old 11-09-2003, 12:05 PM

Yeah I did the spare tire thing right with the front in the rear and all. I don't get what your suggesting by treating the Kumho like a spare. Are you suggesting I put the Kumho on the front and a front on a rear? Why would that be beneficial, as the only reason to do the switch with the spare tire is to avoid damage to the rear differential.

I don't think the tire is unsafe. The patch that wasn't done by regulations has lasted just fine and it seems like the worst that could hapen would be that the patch stops working and the tire would slowly go flat again. But the new hole could be fixed the correct way anyways.... I think it's just that Discount Tire doesn't want to be liable if for some reason the older patch goes bad and they have to fix it for free, or if it for some reason explodes and hurts someone, they could get blamed for a unsafe tire.

The guy made it seem like the RMA regulations were a new policy they follow, so I don't think the old patch is unsafe. I would bet it's the same patches they have used on tires for many years.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:08 PM

o and I also asked the guy if they could redo the patch and he said that they would have to buff the inside of the tire down too far, taking it down to the threads and thus ruining the tire.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:01 PM

Yeah I did the spare tire thing right with the front in the rear and all. I don't get what your suggesting by treating the Kumho like a spare. Are you suggesting I put the Kumho on the front and a front on a rear? Why would that be beneficial, as the only reason to do the switch with the spare tire is to avoid damage to the rear differential.
I think he meant that you'd treat the Kumho as a spare meaning that you'd only use that tire temporarily- until you bought a new S-02.

I think you should replace both your rears with S-02s. Most S2000 owners seem to replace their rears every 8000-12000 miles anyway, so I can't imagine that there would be too much life left in the other rear tire.

I'm not a believer in repairing tires. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than I could, but you're better off with new tires.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 PM

The proper way to repair a tire is to drill out the puncture in the same angle of penetration with a carbide bit. THen fill the hole with a rubber filler to avoid any contamination to the steel belts and inner lining. The patch is then applied to protect the rubber filler and prevent any air migration.

Discount Tire is not only worried about the liability issue. It sounds like they're trying to educate their customer in tire safety for you and everyone you drive around. The worst thing that can actually happen is that the patch becomes undone, and you "slowly" loose air while driving at freeway speeds. As that happens, heat builds up in the tire because you are now riding on the sidewall instead of the tread and you blow out the sidewall. I'm sure you know what happens next.

Because the last place that repaired that tire just put a patch and not a rubber filler, the steel bets inside your tire probably has signs of corossion and maybe even rust if any moisture has worked its way in from the outside of the tire.

I work in the tire industry and I know what can happen. Safety should always be our first priorty