Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer torqued wheels down too hard

Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dealer torqued wheels down too hard

on saturday i bought my S2000 from a dealer in some rinky-dink town here in new mexico. they are a chevy/toyota/buick/gmc/pontiac dealer.

when i purchased my car it had volk ce28n's on it and a friend of mine wanted to trade wheels with me (he has work emotions). i agreed, and last night we switched.

we discovered that the lug nuts had been torqued down so hard that we couldn't get the wheel lock off. when trying to get it free, the side of the wheel lock BROKE OFF and the key was no longer useful. he spent the next 2 hours or so trying to chisel, hammer, and dremel the damn thing off. finally it split in half, but even after removed one side of the wheel lock, it still would not come off. eventually they got it free, at the cost of one of the volks, which is now pretty damaged around the lug nut.

we then found that the stud was mushroomed out at the end and the other studs are in similar shape, just not as bad.

now, i have been unable to get a hold of my salesperson this morning as it is his day off, but i was planning on calling them and asking them some questions.

did you do an inspection on my vehicle? (they claimed they did)
what does this include?
did you remove the rear wheels?
who torqued them on and to what specs?
is there a log sheet with this info on it and if so, may i have a copy?

once i have found out that they did in fact remove and replace the wheels, i will tell them what has happened and request that they replace the studs.

now, does anyone have an idea of what this might cost at a honda dealer? i will request (if they do infact agree to pay for the repairs) that it is done at a honda dealer to make sure it is done right.. i sure as hell will not trust these guys to ever touch my honda again.

any other info/insight/advice would be appreciated. thanks.