Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Tirerack tires review thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Current Tirerack tires review thread

My fronts are about spent, and so I've been browsing this forum lately. I'll have to make a purchase before the season is over, and so I'd like to ask for some input. I found some info from searching, but it seems like several new tires have emerged since we've had an all-in-one-place comparison for DD tires.

Personal situation details:
I don't really care if my tires wear somewhat quickly, but I don't want to have to buy new tires whenever I change the oil. I DD my S2000 to work (~1200mi/mo) and go on canyon runs, and I hope to get to a track event before these tires are spent. They're summer-only tires, and I drive very cautiously if I must drive in rain. I have a budget, but tires are probably the most cost-effective performance modification, so I'll be glad spend a bit more for a noticeably better tire.

I plan to get 225/255 width tires. I'd bet many S2000 owners have similar driving patterns as I and are interested in what's available in that stagger, so I hope people with experience with these tires will chime in. I'll try to keep this post updated with your opinions every few days if the thread grows.

Big Questions
Which tires are great, which are just ok, and which of them are just inferior for the money? Particularly, are the Z1's in the same league as the RE-01Rs?
Will any of the "competition" tires be suitable for a commuting car, and how do they stack up with the RE-01Rs as a baseline?

To make a start easy, I pulled all the 150+mph tirerack tires in the "Max performance summer" and "Competition" sections as well as Nitto's NT-01. If there are others worth adding, I'll put them in too, but for now, here they are with prices, shipping not included:

Extreme Performance Summer
Bridgestone RE-01R
F$183 R$220 = $806/set
Apparently a great overall tire for a DD car, and if I don't get much info from this thread, I'll probably pick this set up as almost everyone has good things to say about them. Price is middle of the road in this group.

Dunlop Z1
F$129 R$161 = $580/set
New. Everybody seems to like them, and the price is great. Is this in league with the RE-01R etc and great on the wallet, or is it just the best of bargain tires?

Kumho Ecsta MX
F$111 R$133 = $488/set
Low price. Low enough it makes me nervous. I haven't heard of them.

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07
F$202 R$243 = $890/set
These seem to get good reviews from owners here.

Competition
Kumho VictoRacer V700
F$189 R$198 = $774/set
Popular for autocross. Any good as a DD tire?

Nitto NT-01 (front, rear) *shipping costs may differ as the source is different
F$160 R$168 = $656/set
No real info on this one. Price is good, pics look good. Do they perform?

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
F$247 R$272 = $1038/set
OE for some Vipers and Porsches. Magazines usually say these give the cars unfair handling advantages compared to other cars in comparos. I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about these on S2000s. Expensive.

Yokohama ADVAN A048
F$252 R$257 = $1018/set
I've seen people DD these before. Although it's not important, the tread pattern looks great! Expensive.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a pair of ap2 v1 wheels with the re-01 r's on them. Size 225/45/17 255/40/17

Compared to the stock ap1 wheels the stock s02's they feel more planted. They feel heavier even though I weight them and the fronts were the same while the backs where 4 pounds heavier each tire.

They really stick to the road, would love to get the on the track to see what the limit is. There's a certain on ramp I can take at a spirited pace, with the s02's 205 size the front is pushing (understeer) feels like it is pulsating. With the new new 225 re-01's it does not push as much and the pulsating feeling is gone.

Haven't tried to do any power on oversteer around corners yet, but with the s02's it was pretty easy. Easier infact then when I had my Bridgestone Advan S4's in 245/4517 size. Probably due to the weight.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=107

Here is a link to our test of the Extreme performance tires. I liked the RE-01R the best overall in the category for street and track.
If I can help let me know.