Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find rear tires for stock wheels

Old 03-31-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find rear tires for stock wheels

Looks like my choices in 245/45R16 are very limited (AP1 wheels). I noticed that Toyo Proxy4 comes in 245/50 and Azenis RT615 comes in 225/50. What would happen if I put 50 series tires on? Will it change the handling of the car, and does it throw off the speedometer much?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are, in fact, 17 choices for tires in 245/45/16. Go to TireRack and punch in those numbers to see them. Not sure where you've been looking, but it doesn't seem that the choices are too limited.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...at=All&x=86&y=5

An aspect ratio of 50 on a 245/16 tire will be about 0.7" bigger in diameter. This would alter the speedo reading by about 2.8% on the high side. That is:
If your speedo were to read 30mph, your real speed would be 30.84mph, so not a big deal.
Handling wise, you would have a slightly taller sidewall, so it would be just a little bit more spongy.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 31 2006, 10:00 PM
There are, in fact, 17 choices for tires in 245/45/16. Go to TireRack and punch in those numbers to see them. Not sure where you've been looking, but it doesn't seem that the choices are too limited.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...at=All&x=86&y=5

An aspect ratio of 50 on a 245/16 tire will be about 0.7" bigger in diameter. This would alter the speedo reading by about 2.8% on the high side. That is:
If your speedo were to read 30mph, your real speed would be 30.84mph, so not a big deal.
Handling wise, you would have a slightly taller sidewall, so it would be just a little bit more spongy.
Thanks for the reply.

I've checked out tirerack before, and did not like any of those tires - that's why I wanted to try Proxy4 and the new Azenis, but neither comes in 245/45R16.

Sounds like I'm going to try 245/50 and see how it does - hopefully it doesn't change handling too much. I've tried tires of different sizes and noticed that I like tires with a smaller sidewall, but then again, I could live with a softer ride.

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 245/50R16 is a bad choice for the car. It is too tall and it will throw off the anti lock brakes, speedometer, odometer and the gear ratio.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfkn2,Apr 1 2006, 12:29 AM
did not like any of those tires
Well, you didn't say you didn't like them. You only said the choices are "limited", which isn't true. "Like" is a matter of your own doing and only limits your choices, not what's out there.

Of those 17 choices, I would use 10 of them and have seen them used by other members here. They liked them fine.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 1 2006, 08:51 AM
Well, you didn't say you didn't like them. You only said the choices are "limited", which isn't true. "Like" is a matter of your own doing and only limits your choices, not what's out there.

Of those 17 choices, I would use 10 of them and have seen them used by other members here. They liked them fine.
I can't run any of those drag radials and slicks in that size, so it really leaves me with those mediocre tires. I need something better, like the Azenis series - but I guess I'll settle for S03's instead.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Jim@tirerack,Apr 1 2006, 06:48 AM] The 245/50R16 is a bad choice for the car.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaws,Apr 1 2006, 12:11 PM
Jim, I'm confused as to way you would say that the 245/60 is "a bad choice". I can't see any reason as to why the ABS would be thrown off. The functioning of ABS is dependent upon tire slip (wheel speed relative to vehicle speed) and has to be able to function properly independent of road surface and tire condition. The only negatives I could see with going to 50 series sidewall in this case is slightly less initial turn-in response, slight degradation in acceleration and minor speedo error. The benefit would be slightly better ride. It wouldn't be my choice, but the effects of choosing that size would be relatively innocuous.
You put a taller tire on the rear than recommended and when you slam on your brakes it will think that the rear tires are locking up due to a slower revolution than to the front....Now you said you wanted a better ride? Why did you choose the S2k it sure doesn't have a better ride. Why would you ask an opinion then degrade the response and give your own opinion of what you want to do. Just do what you want and don't waste everyone's time reading your thread.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SLO S2k,Apr 1 2006, 12:55 PM
You put a taller tire on the rear than recommended and when you slam on your brakes it will think that the rear tires are locking up due to a slower revolution than to the front....Now you said you wanted a better ride? Why did you choose the S2k it sure doesn't have a better ride. Why would you ask an opinion then degrade the response and give your own opinion of what you want to do. Just do what you want and don't waste everyone's time reading your thread.
SLO 2K, evidently you have zero reading comprehension skills. I'm not the OP. When I said that "it would wouldn't be my choice", why did you think I was looking for a softer ride?

And BTW you are plain wrong regarding the height or the front and rear tires and ABS operation.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaws,Apr 1 2006, 04:10 PM
why did you think I was looking for a softer ride?

And BTW you are plain wrong regarding the height or the front and rear tires and ABS operation.
HONDA-DESIGNED 3-CHANNEL ABS
The anti-lock braking system (ABS) is a new compact type that incorporates the solenoid valve, motor and ECU into the modulator body, thereby saving both space and weight.

The ABS system is a four-sensor, three-channel system with a speed sensor located at each wheel. There is a separate channel for each front wheel and the rear wheels share a common third channel. This is a "select-low" system, meaning the system controls both rear-wheel slave cylinders together when it senses incipient wheel lockup in either wheel.

Increasing the memory capacity of the system's Electronic Control Unit (ECU) allows the system to better estimate vehicle speed, which gives it better control in the lower-slip range. This contributes to superior braking efficiency and stability.

1. My mistake for not paying attention that you're not the orignal poster.
2. You said a better ride....give me your definition of better ride.
3. How am I wrong on ABS operation?

Quick Reply: Can't find rear tires for stock wheels