Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I patch this tire

Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I patch this tire

Just got these new hankook ventus' v12's and when I woke up my front left was flat. After looking for a nail I found a quarter inch "rip" or "slice" in the tire, right at the top of the side wall. I know this normally means you must replace the tire...but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with patching something like this before I spend MORE money on another tire.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry bud, It sounds like someone slashed your tire and now you need to buy a new one. Cant do anything about repairing the sidewall
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM

sidewall is not repairable, especially a slash that big...
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 AM

Yeah that's what I thought...certainly wasn't slashed by someone tho..1)it was in the garage after my short trip to the gym 2)It's more of a tiny crack, when I filled the tire back up the leak was slow, and was only found when I poured soupy water on it. Only when you push around the crack does it start to noticeably lose air. When a tire is slashed, it loses air and you can hear it.

Anyways...thanks for your input. Thankfully these ventus v12's aren't expensive. Already ordered
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you should have some warranty on that tire if it is still "new." Check with the manufacturer and vendor.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by project2k4
Yeah that's what I thought...certainly wasn't slashed by someone tho..1)it was in the garage after my short trip to the gym 2)It's more of a tiny crack, when I filled the tire back up the leak was slow, and was only found when I poured soupy water on it. Only when you push around the crack does it start to noticeably lose air. When a tire is slashed, it loses air and you can hear it.

Anyways...thanks for your input. Thankfully these ventus v12's aren't expensive. Already ordered
Did you hit a pothole or something in the road? I wonder what casued it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Originally Posted by project2k4' timestamp='1347365734' post='22003328

Did you hit a pothole or something in the road? I wonder what casued it.
I did hit a small pothole on my way home from the gym but it was so small that it didn't even create the expected shutter I braced for...that lead me to believe it had no effect but I could be wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by billios996
you should have some warranty on that tire if it is still "new." Check with the manufacturer and vendor.

This limited warranty does not apply to tires which are being serviced under the following conditions:
Outside of the Continental United States.
Willful Abuse / Collision / Wreck / Fire.
Continued use while flat or severe under/over inflation.
Road Hazards including without limitation, puncture, cut, impact break, stone drill, bruise, bulge, snag, collision.
Premature or irregular wear due to vehicle mechanical reason.
Conditions resulting from without limitation, improper mounting/demounting, under inflation, improper tire size, improper repair, defect in vehicle, abuse.
Ozone or weather cracking on tires over four (4) years old from the date of manufacture.
Ride disturbance complaints after 2/32 tread wear or 1 year from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.
With less than 2/32" remaining depth.
With the serial number cut or buffed.
Racing & off road use and Misapplication.
Tires 6 years or older from the date of manufacture or 5 years or older from the date of purchase.
Loss of time or use, inconvenience or any incidental or consequential damage.
Used in commercial service, excluding truck & bus tires.

I don't see how this "crack" or "cut" I have doesn't fall into that bold category. They could also refuse coverage because I jumped to 225 in the front from the recommended stock 215.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by project2k4
Originally Posted by billios996' timestamp='1347368042' post='22003384

This limited warranty does not apply to tires which are being serviced under the following conditions:
Outside of the Continental United States.
Willful Abuse / Collision / Wreck / Fire.
Continued use while flat or severe under/over inflation.
Road Hazards including without limitation, puncture, cut, impact break, stone drill, bruise, bulge, snag, collision.
Premature or irregular wear due to vehicle mechanical reason.
Conditions resulting from without limitation, improper mounting/demounting, under inflation, improper tire size, improper repair, defect in vehicle, abuse.
Ozone or weather cracking on tires over four (4) years old from the date of manufacture.
Ride disturbance complaints after 2/32 tread wear or 1 year from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.
With less than 2/32" remaining depth.
With the serial number cut or buffed.
Racing & off road use and Misapplication.
Tires 6 years or older from the date of manufacture or 5 years or older from the date of purchase.
Loss of time or use, inconvenience or any incidental or consequential damage.
Used in commercial service, excluding truck & bus tires.

I don't see how this "crack" or "cut" I have doesn't fall into that bold category. They could also refuse coverage because I jumped to 225 in the front from the recommended stock 215.
They mean improper tire size for a given wheel width. For example the stock front wheel on an AP2 is a 17x7. A 225/45/17 is designed to fit on a wheel between 7" and 8.5" so youd be fine. Its the hella flush guys running a 205/40/17 on a 17x9.5 that they are trying to protect themselves from.