Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argument against wider tires?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 225/255 combination on the S2000 is a popular one and is quite grippy with a good extreme performance tire. That's probably what I'd recommend trying out first if you haven't already. And if that isn't enough grip, and especially if you go FI, then maybe you could go up (wider) from there on your next set afterwards, but keep in mind one modification may lead to another (much more aggressive rolling/pulling required if going to a 295 or 315 as opposed to running a 255 rear. Even the 215/245 stock AP2 setup is a good upgrade over AP1 size (205/225).

Personally, if I find I don't have enough grip out of the 225/255 setup on my AP2, my next step would likely be going square 255 on all four corners -though I'm at stock power level-, then putting in a new swaybar in the front to counter some of the extra oversteer induced by the wider front tires. Though for forced induction (especially 400+hp), wider rears does seem like a safer bet in addition to a tire as grippy or grippier than the best in the extreme performance category.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

For track performance, FI or non FI, shouldn't really dictate the necessity for wider rear tires, the benefits of running wider rear tires are there regardless, IF you set up the chassis for it, ie; spring rates and alignment, anything strengthening/rigidity etc. Ive run my tire stagger both ways, with 215whp currently and with 450whp in the past. The only difference is how you work the throttle in the equation to maintain an effective circle of traction, the lateral grip is either there or it isn't, the engine output amount is really separate to a degree in that respect. I think some people put too much importance on power output with the need for wider tires, considering width does little to hold strait line traction, so its not really addressing the traction issue of engine output amount. Its all about the lateral grip and the rest is breaking and acceleration secondarily/residual.

I do happen to hold (Still hold as far as I know) the s2k N/A street tire record lap time at the 2.5 mile Ridge road course, so what I say carries some weight I think since ive applied my philosophy to my car. If you want your S2k to deliver the quickest lap times possible, run the tire compound you want and then get the most rubber on the pavement you can fit that maintains a proper heat range for that compound and build the chassis around that grip level. The rest is up to the driver. As mentioned, I still haven't found diminishing returns with the s2k platform with regard to tire widths, at least with the extreme summer compound tires i choose to run to date.

But hey, this has been my experience with the s2000, and there are many variables and platforms. Some data is great to work with, but not always apples to apples so you dont want to place too much importance on all of it. I have always been a drive by the seat of my pants kind of guy and rather just get out there and test things and see, its part of the fun anyway. If your not willing to step outside a current trend or collective thought, you will never exceed what that wave of thought has provided people to that point. Do you want to lead or follow. What is the ultimate goal? Im guilty of enjoying being a semi accomplished fast guy in a ego driven enthusiast sport, yes. Sue me

http://www.tracklaptimes.com/?page_i...id=52&c_id=104