Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP2 Wheel Options

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 Wheel Options

I am thinking about putting AP2 wheels on my 2003, and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the two options that I'm considering....ideally someone that has seen both options!

The first option are the ones currently being sold on Ebay from Tobbacco Road Auto (Ebay Link). They were discussed under this thread (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...ny-experience/), and the feedback was generally good.

The second option are from allfactorywheels.com, referenced in a WTB post on this site. I can't find anyone with experience. They claim to be OEM's that have been re-finished...but could very well be the "China" OEM replacements. They are about $160 more expensive than the ebay options.

Ideally I'd like to buy a set of used rims on this site, but finding them without tires seems like an impossible task. Any experience or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So long as you're not doing anything particularly extreme (tracking on aggressive tires, etc), the wheel from Tobacco Road should be fine. If the claims are true and it exceeds all of the given wheel specifications you'll have no problem at all. Street driving is not generally hard on wheels, even cheaply made ones.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I posted the, or at least a link to http://www.allfactorywheels.com/ based on my experience in July 2014 obtaining 2006 OEM wheels for my new-to-me '06 S2000 the previous owner had bug gered with black RP1s (or something). I took about 3 weeks to get the wheels. Three came within a week, number 4 took another couple of weeks as they weren't happy with it.

I received four nicely reconditioned genuine Honda wheels for my car. They're Honda and made by Einke. My "tire guy" who typically has a shop full of semi-exotics blessed them as great wheels when he mounted the new RE-11A Bridgestones. He's so anal he mounted the H on the center caps pointed at the valve stems and used a lift, not a single jack to swap the wheels.

The prices this week are lower than what I paid last summer. I'm guessing there's less demand this time of year or there's more supply.

Since 17" wheels are not OEM for your car you have more choices to include the late wheels that came on the CRs and '08/'09s arguably the nicest of them all. I wanted to remain as stock as possible.

My sample of one (1) -- OK, 4 wheels. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Old 02-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait to find some oem used. Prices range from 300-500 for rims without tires. I found a set but it took some time.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only issue with used wheels is you do not know how they were used or abused. You can repair cosmetic issues but not internal issues. Unless they exray the wheels you would never know if they are cracked.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

But that goes for any used wheel, even the original OEM wheels still mounted if someone buys a used S.

I would trust a used OEM wheel over a used aftermarket. They are generally stronger, and if someone is going to use and abuse, there is a greater chance they are going to do so on aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly used wheels carry risks similar to buying a used car.
You can't know everything and or predict everything.

Look over the wheels for structural issues. If none mount and drive. Inspect regularly for stress cracks.
Used oem are the way to go. Less risk imo
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set from Tobacco Road through Ebay for my 2001 Silverstone. They weigh the same as the O.E.M wheels and still look flawless after 3 years. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buyer beware of All Factory Wheels. Their online reviews suck!

AFW Reviews

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I posted the, or at least a link to http://www.allfactorywheels.com/ based on my experience in July 2014 obtaining 2006 OEM wheels for my new-to-me '06 S2000 the previous owner had bug gered with black RP1s (or something). I took about 3 weeks to get the wheels. Three came within a week, number 4 took another couple of weeks as they weren't happy with it.

I received four nicely reconditioned genuine Honda wheels for my car. They're Honda and made by Einke. My "tire guy" who typically has a shop full of semi-exotics blessed them as great wheels when he mounted the new RE-11A Bridgestones. He's so anal he mounted the H on the center caps pointed at the valve stems and used a lift, not a single jack to swap the wheels.

The prices this week are lower than what I paid last summer. I'm guessing there's less demand this time of year or there's more supply.

Since 17" wheels are not OEM for your car you have more choices to include the late wheels that came on the CRs and '08/'09s arguably the nicest of them all. I wanted to remain as stock as possible.

My sample of one (1) -- OK, 4 wheels. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,092 Posts

The link shows a wide variety of reviews -- including a couple of "sucks" but the first one is 5/5. Appears to be hit or miss. Wheels like these are all salvage wheels and there's a very limited number of them. Your mileage may vary. I'm happy with mine.

Here's a shot I took to show someone my black brake calibers. Wheel is dirty but this is how they look when the car is not in concours d'elgance condition:

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: AP2 Wheel Options