Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever run asymmetric tires outside in?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever run asymmetric tires outside in?

I searched, and I read, and I understand why you might not want to run asymmetric tires outside in, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it, particularly with RE050A Pole Positions?

For background, here is a quote from wikipedia:

An asymmetric tire may refer to a passenger car radical tire in which asymmetric structure stabilizing belts are built. Generally the stabilizing belts give a self-aligning torque when a motor vehicle is running straight ahead as well as when it is cornering. However, the sidewalls of the radial tire are so flexible that there will be a delay in the lateral reaction between the tread of the tire and the rim of its wheel as the vehicle is being steered positively. The lateral force will be transmitted from the front wheel to the rear of the vehicle which will tend to be steered off course. Whereas the asymmetric belts bring a gradual change in the lateral displacement of the tire tread corresponding to the rim while the cornering load grows. The progressive change will harden the sidewalls to produce an immediate response to steering, which result in safer driving.