Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any benefit to swapping the front's from side to side when putting on new rear's?

Old 06-17-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm about to have some new shoes thrown on the S2000 and was wondering if it would be a waste of time and money to have the people doing the work to swap the fronts from side to side?

Should I just leave them as is and let them wear down on their own since they've already formed a wear pattern over the last 17k miles or go ahead with the swap? I'm starting to think that it might adversely effect the handling since they've already been on there for a year and a half.

Also, for those that take the time to rotate rear S02's to extend their lifespan...what's the average mileage you're doing this at and how long do a set of rear's typically last you doing this?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the tyres and see if you have any wear pattern problems. If your camber is not set right for how you drive the car there could be wear patterns you can correct with tyre flipping and an alignment.

///Robin
Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 PM

I "rotate" my fronts every time I replace the rears (around 8k miles or so) and I seem to get much more life out of them. The fronts are directional so make sure they get the tread direction right.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 PM

All your tires are directional, not just the fronts. That means if you're to "rotate the fronts or the rears, you have to dismount the tires from the rims and reverse their direction.

I have no intention of doing this on my car.

Gerry
Old 06-18-2004, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by gswetsky

I have no intention of doing this on my car.
Are you saying that you personally don't want to do this or that you don't think its a good idea?

Aside from the possibility of damaging a rim, there's no reason not to.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyBad
Old 06-18-2004, 09:12 AM

I always thought that "proper alignment" for an S2000 would include some negative camber, and would therefore result in a little uneven tire wear even under the best of circumstances. I'm no expert though.

I personally would not bother with this because of the danger of damaging the rims, but if tire wear was your primary concern, wouldn't this make sense?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gswetsky
As long as one's car is kept in proper alignment, I don't see that the benefit is worth the effort.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:47 AM

It will throw off your handling, your car will fee like it is running on the edges of the tires. You have decreased the contact patch and the car will be twitchy.

I do not recommend it. Had another owner here do it. He felt it was not worth it. He did not continue to do it.

If you are getting uneven tire wear, you aren't driving the car hard enough! Hehehehehe. Wear those outer edges with hard cornering.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UCrazyKid
It will throw off your handling, your car will fee like it is running on the edges of the tires.

Quick Reply: Any benefit to swapping the front's from side to side when putting on new rear's?