Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Season Tires on S2k?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BarriosTKD,Apr 23 2008, 09:13 AM
I live in California and have a WRX for my trips to Tahoe, so my S2000 won't be driven in the snow. But I do drive the S2000 in the rain. The reason I asked about the All-Seasons was 1) better tread life and 2) tire rotation in the case of the Kumho ASX.

You can get decently longer-wearing tires without going to all-seasons. Tire rotation is a problem in any case, front and rear rims are different sizes. Rotating left to right makes little sense and offers no benefit unless your alignment settings are hosed or you are tracking the car.

All-seasons won't have any more traction than good uhp summer tires in the rain.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another quick question: would it be ok to mix and match the tires? I just purchased a set of AP2.2 wheels today, but the front tires are still in good condition. The rear tires need to be replaced already.

I want to keep the front Bridgestones for now, but was wondering if it would be ok to put a different set of tires for the rears? Still considering the 3 that I mentioned in my previous post (Generals, Kumho SPT and BF Goodrich). Is this a bad idea to mix and match?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

The front bridgestones are the stock AP2 RE050's?
If so, you'd want to stick with "Max Performance" rears to keep front/rear grip levels in the same ballpark, imo.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lay.jsp?type=MP
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarriosTKD,Apr 23 2008, 09:56 PM
I want to keep the front Bridgestones for now, but was wondering if it would be ok to put a different set of tires for the rears? Still considering the 3 that I mentioned in my previous post (Generals, Kumho SPT and BF Goodrich). Is this a bad idea to mix and match?
On my car I have the original RE050s on the front axle and General Exclaim UHP on the rear axle. Although it is acceptable, it is not a setup I would recommend to anyone.

Let me address those Exclaims first. You will find a lot of people complaining about the soft tire walls on them, and I have to concur. There have been times that I pushed the rears while cornering and I felt the tires flex and had to act so they wouldn't break out altogether. I think it's a great tire and they give me the confidence to drive into the winter and survive the occasional light snow before I put my winter tires on, but they are not great cornering tires for me.

Then the mismatch between fronts and rears. On the track I have always found it best not to mismatch tires. On the street, again I only notice it when I'm cornering aggressively. With these tires I find that on corner entry the car pushes, then becomes more neutral in mid turn, then pushes again. I would like more honesty from my tires.

That said, I also agree with ZDan that as long as you use the same "type" tire, all max performance for example, your tires will never betray you with a complete loss of control situation. The worst that could happen is that in extreme cornering you may have to work more than you would like. I'm lazy, I don't enjoy that. Now that the front tires are finally down to 3/32nd, after 56,000 miles, I can start thinking about replacing all four tires. I'm excited.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks again for the all the input. Yes, I have the stock RE750's on the front wheels. The idea is to change all four tires to match the next time I buy, but for now I want to wear out what's left of the front tires. So given that I will run a non-matching setup, which ones among the 3 would you guys say is the same "type" as the stock tires?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like other have said you can mix tires as long as you stay in the same kind of tire. Where it could be a problem is in an emergency situation. At the point where you need the car to handle the best it won't.
You may want to look at the Fuzion ZRI as they are made by Bridgestone with the same internal construction.
If I can help let me know.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Sports for the rears. Once those wear out I'll just change all four to match.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

when i bought my car used, it came with michelin pilotsport A/S tires, not bad for daily use at all. a bit tougher in terms of rain and wear characteristics vs. the standard pure sport pilotsports. if you don't do any lapping/auto'x etc. then good A/S are decent on this car. granted i'd still take a puer summer over any a/s tire for this car lol (re-01r is my main tire)