Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Season Tires on S2k?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-Season Tires on S2k?

Has anyone run all-season tires on their S2000? Just want to know which A/S tires you went with and how they perform. I'm considering all-seasons so I can get more mileage out of my tires. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
JB
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are not an aggressive driver and you live in an area that does get some cold and snow the all seasons will work. Take a look at the RE960 AS ad the Goodyear F1 AS.
If I can help let me know.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,866 Likes on 2,078 Posts

I have a set of Yoko Advan S4 on a set of wheels for the cooler temps, great tire. Not a bad trade-off to able to drive the car when the stockies shouldn't be out.

Bought from Jim @ TireRack, BTW
Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 PM

what if you are aggressive most of the time but would still like something that would give u decent mileage and handle in the occassional rain or light snow? jim?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BarriosTKD,Apr 22 2008, 10:58 AM
I'm considering all-seasons so I can get more mileage out of my tires. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.
Greater mileage is not a good reason to run all-seasons.

The only reason to run all-seasons is because you are likely to have to drive on snow and you don't have/can't afford/don't wanna hassle with dedicated winter tires for the snowy months.

If you want greater mileage than OEM or other max or extreme performance tires, get UHP summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...ay.jsp?type=UHP

Running all-seasons if you don't need all-season capability needlessly sacrifices dry and wet performance.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM

If you need all-season tires, Kumho Ecsta ASX are decent and not much coin at all, and they're just fine for sensible fair-weather driving. They're not your uber-high performance summer tire for canyon carving or dragon taming, by any means, but they served me well through the winter months and even through a few autocrosses before I ordered summer tires. Now I wish I'd gone ahead and ordered race tires instead of summers, because now I have a dozen tires in the garage and four out back on the trailer, and I'm about to buy race tires.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second the motion. Have had very good success with the ASX for winter months.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm choosing from one of the following:

1) Kumho Ecsta SPT
2) Kumho ASX
3) BF Goodrich g-Force SPort
4) General Exclaim UHP

I live in California and have a WRX for my trips to Tahoe, so my S2000 won't be driven in the snow. But I do drive the S2000 in the rain. The reason I asked about the All-Seasons was 1) better tread life and 2) tire rotation in the case of the Kumho ASX.

I don't track or race the car, but I do enjoy pushing the car a bit on twisty mountain roads. So I want to know if the Kumho ASX will be good enough. I'm not familiar at all w/ the General Exclaims, but those seem to have good ratings on Tire Rack. Any experience w/ the General tires anyone?

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM

i've run the RE 960 AS, good tire
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use ASX's for my S2000's DD wheels as they are cheap to burn up on the interstate going a straight line, and actually does a pretty good job on grip. One time I measured .95g with my GTech Pro in the rain before an autoX event. Oh... this was done on AP2 wheels (225/255's).

I also have the RE960 AS on my CRX and quite happy with them.

-Dave
edit: corrected rear tire width

Quick Reply: All-Season Tires on S2k?