Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Season Tire Question

Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season Tire Question

Do all-season tires range from being nearly like summer tires to being, say, half-way between summer and snow tires? Is there a grading or number on them?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no official grading system so far as I know. The degree of sportiness will vary from tire to tire. In general though anything that's going to be decent in the snow is not going to be very good during the summer on this car (and vice versa).

It's far better to buy performance tires for 80-90% of the year, then have a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels for when there is snow on the ground.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^i kinda agree.

that really doesn't cut it for me. i go through tires way to fast when it comes to extreme performance tires. it gets expensive. i went the opposite of what ^^^ he suggested. i am about to get continental dws tires for my DD and i have rs-3 for my autox/fun tires. why? well because i daily drive my car way too much and i go through tires every year because of the miles i drive, and not from aggressive or reckless driving. i only use the extreme tires about 5-8 times out of the year. so why have extreme summer tires that will last not even a year and have a set of snow tires? i went with my set up because it suits me. i dont want to settle for some lower handling tires because they can last long.

to answer the OP. not really. there are how ever different categories of summer tires as well as all-season tires. go to tire rack and look up all the categories and pick whatever fits you best.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM

There is little snow left on the ground where I'm moving to and I'm going with all season (changing from summer only). What do people like that is cheaper than Michelin or Conti?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

there doesnt need to be snow on the ground for a "winter" tire to outshine an all season tire.
love my dunlop wintersport 3d tires!
still handles like its on Star Spec tires during the colder season and still plows through snow when needed

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are correct. In temps below 45 degrees the winter tires are going to handle better even in the dry. The advantage of the all season is you don't have to switch them back and forth and they are going to last longer. All season tires will give you some light snow traction as well. The Continental DWS and the Bridgestone RE970 AS would be the two all season tires I would recommend. If I can help with anything let me know.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabby Guy
Do all-season tires range from being nearly like summer tires to being, say, half-way between summer and snow tires? Is there a grading or number on them?
Closest thing you'll find to "grading" of UHP all-seasons:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Tire Rack = awesome resource
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Crabby Guy' timestamp='1328557981' post='21388860
Closest thing you'll find to "grading" of UHP all-seasons:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Tire Rack = awesome resource
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM

OK. Can someone suggest a snow tire or two, please?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

dunlop winter sport 3d
bridgestone blizzak ws60

Quick Reply: All Season Tire Question